Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What are the common symptoms of chikungunya?
The common signs and symptoms of chikungunya are as follows:
- Joint pain or pyrexia
- Headache or muscle ache
- Pain in joints
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Fatigue or vomiting
2. How is chikungunya diagnosed?
The following ways are used for the diagnosis of chikungunya:
- Thorough examination of signs/symptoms and medical history
- Physical examination
- Subsequent blood tests
- Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction test
3. What are the available treatment options for chikungunya?
The available treatment options for chikungunya are as follows:
- Painkillers such as naproxen, ibuprofen
4. Can chikungunya be prevented?
Chikungunya can be averted by preventing oneself from the contact with mosquitos. Preventive measures are as follows:
- Use of insect repellants or mosquito nets
- Wearing clothes that cover the entire body
- Avoid travelling to endemic areas
- Staying indoors
5. Can chikungunya fever be life-threatening?
Chikungunya fever is rarely considered to be life-threatening; however, it can have complications such as meningoencephalitis, bleeding, nephritis, hepatitis, uveitis, myelitis and myocarditis.