1. What are the common causes of neck pain?
Neck pain is usually caused by following issues:
- Muscle sprain and poor posture
- Osteoporosis or rheumatoid arthritis
- Spondylosis or nerve compression
- Tumours or abscess
2. When should I consult a doctor for neck pain?
You should consult a doctor for neck pain when:
- There is persistent pain for several days
- There is radiating pain after an injury
- The pain is associated with tingling and numbness
- There is headache or fever
- There is nausea, vomiting or enlarged lymph nodes
3. Who should I consult for the management of neck pain?
A spine specialist physician should be consulted for the management of neck pain. In addition, physiotherapists, neurologists or rheumatologists can also be consulted for the management of neck pain.
4. Is Ayurveda useful in treating neck pain?
Yes, Ayurveda is also used in controlling neck pain. There are many herbal medicines, Ayurvedic therapies, such as abhyanga, nasya, elakkizhi and podikkizhi, which are useful in the treatment of neck pain.
5. What are the treatment measures for the management of neck pain?
The treatment measures for the management of neck pain depend upon the underlying cause and they include:
- Painkillers or muscle relaxants
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation
- Heat therapy
- Steroid injections