60 doctors available in Vadodara
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What are the causes of getting cold sore?
Herpes simplex virus-1 typically causes a cold sore. The other risk factors include:
- Cancer chemotherapy
- Use of steroids
2. Do cold sores occur in cold season?
Cold sores usually occur during the cold season. Cold weather serves as a trigger factor for cold sores. It can also be responsible for reinfection.
3. What are the symptoms of cold sores?
Cold sores are identified by the following symptoms:
- Sore lip
- Tingling and numbness around lips
- Mouth ulcers
- Burning sensation around the mouth and lips
- Skin blisters or rashes
- Sore throat and fever
- Headache along with muscle aches
4. How are cold sores treated?
Following courses of treatment are available for cold sores:
- Administration of antiviral drugs such as valacyclovir, acyclovir
- Docosanol cream
- Application of ice over cold sores
- Use of aloe vera gel
5. Do cold sores occur repeatedly?
There is a huge possibility that cold sores might recur due to the reactivation of dormant virus in the body. The risk factors for recurrence are as follows:
- Cold weather
- Diabetes or HIV
- Use of steroids and cancer chemotherapy
- Stress or fatigue
- Menstruation and respiratory tract infection