29 doctors available in Thane
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is migraine?
Migraine is a severe pushing sensation or throbbing pain, which usually affects one side of the head. People often experience extreme sensitivity to sound and light, vomiting and nausea with migraine. A migraine attack can last from a few hours to days, and the pain might be severe enough to interfere with daily activities.
2. What are the causes of migraine?
There are no definite causes of migraine. However, following are some factors that might be the cause of migraines:
• Physical, emotional or environmental triggers
• Gender (females are three times more likely to get migraines)
• Brain chemicals and certain nerve signals
• Changes in weather
• Certain foods or food additives
3. What can you do to reduce migraine pain?
Few things you can do to reduce the pain are:
• Switch off the lights
• Drink a caffeinated beverage
• Sleep adequately at night. Avoid taking naps for more than 20 or 30 minutes during the day
• Take slow deep breaths and relax to reduce stress
• Take an over-the-counter pain killer
4. Is migraine more common in females than males?
Women experience more frequent and severe migraine attacks due to changes in estrogen levels. Women also report more chronic pain and pain for a longer duration more frequently as compared to men.
5. Is migraine self diagnosable?
Most people identify the symptoms associated with migraine like nausea, vision problems and sensitivity to sound and self-diagnose migraine. However, it is important to discuss the symptoms with your doctor to get a proper diagnosis of the disease.