28 doctors available in Navi mumbai
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is obstructive sleep apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea is a type of sleep apnea in which your throat muscles intermittently relax and block upper airway during sleep. It is associated with decreased blood oxygen levels and sleep disturbances. It is a very common type of sleep apnea.
2. What are the symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea?
Signs and symptoms include
- snoring, headache
- daytime sleepiness
- abrupt awakening
- difficulty in concentration
- episodes of stopped breathing during sleep
- sweating at night
- increased blood pressure
- depression, irritability
3. What causes obstructive sleep apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea is a type of sleep apnea in which your throat muscles intermittently relax and block the upper airway during sleep. This leads to reduced blood oxygen levels. Risk factors include obesity, old age, hypertension, nasal congestion, narrowed airway, diabetes, family history of sleep apnea, smoking and asthma.
4. How does CPAP help reduce obstructive sleep apnea?
The continuous postiive airway pressure (CPAP) machine delivers airflow through a mask that fits on the face and covers the nose and the mouth. This air pressure acts as a splint to keep the airway of the person open during his sleep. This allows continuous breathing in a person with obstructive sleep apnea and reduces snoring. It also reduces other symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea.
5. Are there any home remedies to reduce obstructive sleep apnea?
Yes, there are certain home remedies to reduce obstructive sleep apnea like
- Regular exercise like yoga
- Sleeping on the side and avoiding lying on the back
- Reduce obesity and maintain a healthy diet
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Using a humidifier
- Using oral appliances like mandibular advancement devices and tongue stabilizing devices