1. What causes dandruff?
The following agents are primarily responsible for causing dandruff:
- Malassezia fungus
- Genetic factors
- Dry or oily skin
- Seborrheic dermatitis
The risk factors of dandruff include adolescent age, male gender and a weak immune system.
2. What are the symptoms of dandruff?
The indications of dandruff are as follows:
- Itchy scalp
- Skin flakes
- Red patches on skin
3. Can daily hair wash keep away dandruff?
A daily hair wash with a medicated shampoo can prevent or control dandruff. Ketoconazole, zinc or selenium sulphide should be present in the medicated shampoo.
4. What treatment options are available for dandruff?
The available treatment options for dandruff are as follows:
- Medicated shampoo containing ketoconazole, zinc or selenium sulphide
- Tar-based shampoos
- Shampoos containing salicylic acid
5. Is dandruff completely curable?
The complete cure of dandruff is yet to be determined; however, it can be controlled by the regular use of medicated shampoos that should have ketoconazole, zinc or selenium sulphide.