Frequently Asked Questions
What is Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP) and its indications?
TURP is a medical procedure that treats the problems caused by the enlarged prostate gland. This procedure uses an instrument called as Resectoscope. It treats UTI and decreases the chances of bladder stone formation.
TURP is indicated in the following conditions:
- Decreased flow of the urine
- Urinary tract infections [UTI]
- Difficulty while urinating
- Urge to urinate
- Prolonged urination
- Inability to empty the bladder or feeling that the bladder is not empty
What can be the advantages of TURP?
Some of the advantages of TURP are:
- Prevents kidney damage or bladder damage
- Treats recurrent urinary tract infections [UTI]
- Decreases the chances for the formation of bladder stones
What is the required preparation for TURP?
The following are the preparation steps:
- Inform the doctor regarding present and past medical and medications history.
- Health status of the patient may be evaluated before undergoing this procedure.
- Discuss with the doctor about risks, complications, and benefits associated with TURP
- Before going to this procedure, empty the bladder.
What are the steps included in the TURP?
TURP includes the following steps:
- The patient will be under anesthetic effect and doesn’t feel any pain during the procedure.
- The resectoscope is slowly inserted from the tip of the penis into the urethra and to the prostate gland.
- With the help of the resectoscope, a small piece of the enlarged prostate gland is trimmed at a time.
- Small pieces of tissue are also cut and sent out with the help of the irrigating fluid.
- The surgical instruments are removed once the procedure is finished.
What is the care taken after TURP?
The patient must follow a few pieces of advice suggested by the doctor after TURP procedure and they are:
- Avoid driving until the catheter attached is removed.
- Should avoid sex for at least 4-6 weeks after the procedure.
- After completion of the procedure, vital signs will be monitored by the nurses and doctors.
- A urinary catheter is placed to avoid the blockage of urine due to the swelling.
- If there is a severe pain while urinating, consult the doctor.
- Should stop smoking as it delays the healing process.
- Advised to drink plenty of water.
Who is the right specialist to perform TURP?
TURP can be performed by a certified and skilled Urologist.
What is the cost of TURP in Mumbai?
Some factors may affect the cost of TURP in Mumbai and they are:
- Post-procedure complications that are involved
- Health condition of the patient
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Patient age
- Type of hospital
- Doctor fee
- Admission fee
Minimum charges in Mumbai starts from Rs.33,000
Average cost in Mumbai is approximately Rs.95,700
Maximum price in Mumbai may rise up to Rs.1,21,000
Is TURP major or minor procedure?
TURP is considered a minor procedure.
What type of people can choose TURP?
- People with the following conditions can choose TURP:
- Individuals who are suffering benign prostate hyperplasia condition.
- Patients with severe urinary problems.
What type of people cannot choose TURP?
People with the following conditions cannot choose TURP::
- Patients who are on medications such as blood thinners, and clotting agents.
- Patients with an active infection at the site of operation.
- People who are chronic smokers.
What are the risks and complications of TURP?
TURP has the following risks and complications:
- Difficulty to hold urine
- Heavy bleeding
- Decreased levels of sodium in the blood
- Erectile dysfunction
- Dry orgasm
What is the required time to complete TURP?
The time required to complete TURP maybe 60-90 minutes.
What is the recovery time from TURP?
To recover from TURP, patient may take around 6-8 weeks.
What is the success rate of Transurethral Resection of the Prostate [TURP]?
TURP success rate depends on the following factors:
- Health condition of the patient
- Experience of the doctor
- Patient age
However, the success rate of TURP is very high with 1% morbidity.
Does TURP cause pain?
Due to the anesthetic effect, patient doesn't feel any kind of pain during the procedure.
Is TURP a permanent procedure?
TURP is a permanent procedure, as it removes the excess prostate.
Can Transurethral Resection of the Prostate [TURP] be detected in the future?
TURP may not be detected in the future as it involves small incisions and minimally invasive procedure.
What are the alternative methods or procedures for TURP?
Alternatives for TURP are the following:
- Rezum water vapor therapy
- Transurethral needle ablation (TUNA)
- UroLift system
- Transurethral microwave therapy