57 doctors available in Mohali
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. Can drinking plenty of water help me in treating constipation?
Yes, drinking water and other liquids are known to help people with constipation as it keeps the stool soft and easy to pass. According to the American Institute of Medicine's Food & Nutrition, women should have 2.6 litres of water while men should consume 3.6 litres of water everyday.
2. What medicines are useful in treating constipation?
Constipation can be treated with prescription-only medicines like lactulose, linaclotide and lubiprostone.
3. Can I have isabgol to treat constipation?
Yes, Isabgol, also known as Psyllium Husk, is a gelatinous substance and is used as a natural laxative for people with constipation. When you consume isabgol it bulks up in the stomach and helps smoothen the bowel movement.
4. What are the foods that can help me clear my bowel and treat constipation?
There are a number of foods if consumed in a timely manner can help improve your bowel movement. These foods include yoghurt, rice, beans, oats, broccoli, wheat bran, clear soups among others.
5. What are the side effects associated with the conventional treatment for constipation?
The use of conventional laxatives are known to have a few side effects. These include bloating, gas, nausea, thirst, diarrhoea and rectal irritation.