1. Is there a method to permanently cure astigmatism?
Yes, to permanently cure astigmatism refractive surgery called laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis (LASIK) is available. This changes the shape of the cornea correcting the refractive error and improves vision.
2. Whom should I consult for the management of astigmatism?
An ophthalmologist, i.e. an eye specialist medical doctor should be consulted for the management of astigmatism.
3. What are the homecare measures for treating astigmatism?
Homecare measures that might help worsening of astigmatism are
- using corrective lenses
- adequate hydration
- cotton pads dipped in rose water on the eyes
- take green juice, carrot juice, foods rich in Vitamin A
- healthy diet consisting of green leafy vegetables, whole grains
- eye exercises
- protect eyes from dust, fumes, air pollution
- avoid looking at television, mobile phones for long
4. Can LASIK surgery help correct astigmatism?
Yes, LASIK surgery can help correct astigmatism. This surgery uses laser beam to change the shape of the cornea correcting the refractive error and improves vision.
5. Can eyeglasses or contact lenses be useful in treating astigmatism?
Yes, eyeglasses or contact lenses can be useful in treating astigmatism which help in improving vision and eye comfort. They correct the refractive error by counteracting uneven curvatures of cornea.