222 doctors available in Kolkata
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. Who can treat vaginal yeast infection?
A gynaecologist commonly treats vaginal yeast infection. She/he will appropriately diagnose the underlying condition and provide suitable treatment.
2. Are there tests to confirm that the infection is caused by yeast?
Yes, there are tests to confirm that yeast is the causal agent of the infection. These tests include testing the vaginal secretions for detecting the fungus causing the infection. The gynaecologist also performs a pelvic examination for examining the vaginal walls and cervix.
3. What is the specific treatment for vaginal yeast infection?
The specific treatment for vaginal yeast infection includes administration of antifungal creams, tablets, ointments and suppositories. These medications include miconazole, fluconazole, clotrimazole and butoconazole. The duration of therapy is based on the severity of the disease.
4. Can vaginal yeast infection be cured by using home remedies?
Yes, vaginal yeast infection can be cured by following home remedies such as:
- Administration of probiotics
- Application of tea tree oil
- Administration of over-the-counter antifungals
5. Who is at highrisk of getting vaginal yeast infection?
The risk factors for vaginal yeast infection are as follows:
- Reduced immune system conditions, such as HIV, and steroid therapy
- Use of antibiotics
- Use of oral contraceptives