Frequently Asked Questions
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast Augmentation is a surgical procedure that involves increasing the size of female breasts with the help of implants made from various materials. Individuals can prefer breast augmentation to enhance, volumize, or correct asymmetrical breasts or under conditions where part or complete breast tissue is removed (Breast Cancer or tumors), etc.
There are different types of implants and methods are followed for performing Breast Augmentation and they are as follows:- Methods like infra-mammary, axillary, trans-axillary, Transumbilical, Periareolar, etc.-Implants made of materials like saline, silicone, textured, smooth, implants, gummy bear implants(Gel-Based Implants), etc.
What are the benefits of Breast Augmentation?
Following are some benefits of Breast Augmentation:
- Increases volume of breasts
- The irregular shape of the breast can be rectified
- Provides symmetrical body shape
- Restore breasts after pregnancy and aging
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomy
What are the indications of Breast Augmentation?
Following are the indications of Breast Augmentation:
- To enhance the size or appearance of breasts
- Partial or complete removal of breast tissue (Mastectomy)
- Decreased volume of the breast due to pregnancy or weight loss process
What is the preparation required for Breast Augmentation?
- The patient should discuss all the risks, complications, and benefits of Breast Augmentation with the doctor.
- Inform the doctor about present and past medical and medication history.
- The doctor may suggest the patient to undergo a few lab tests.
- Health condition of the patient will be evaluated before this surgery.
- Before the surgery, the patient may be asked to sign a consent form.
What are the steps involved in Breast Augmentation?
Following are the steps involved in Breast Augmentation:
- General anesthesia will be given to avoid pain during the surgery.
- In the Inframammary method, the chest muscle and tissues within the breast through incisions and the implant will be inserted inside the pocket and closed with sutures.
- In Trans-axillary method, an incision is made under the armpit and the breast implant will be inserted in this opening by the plastic surgeon. In this method, only a small scar is left at the site of the incision.
- In the axillary method, the implants are sent through the arm; adjusted and centered in the breasts. The scars on the breast can be avoided in this method.
- In the trans-umbilical method, incisions are made above the navel and the implants are sent to the appropriate positions and adjusted.
- In the peri-areolar method, incisions are made at the outer areolar edges and the breast implants are inserted and adjusted to a proper position.
What is the postprocedure care for Breast Augmentation?
- Use the prescribed medicines as directed by the physician.
- Nausea and vomiting may occur. In such cases, take the anti-nausea medications which are prescribed by the doctor.
- The chest area must be kept clean to prevent any infections.
- Post Breast augmentation surgery, the patient would be recommended to wear a bandage to compress the breasts.
- The patient must wear necessary garments which provide proper support to the breasts.
- The patients will be advised to avoid physical activities, workouts, strenuous exercise for at least a period of two weeks.
- The patient must visit the doctor for regular follow-ups, for removing sutures or to know the status of the implants, etc.
- The patient must avoid intercourse for a period of about 3 to 4 weeks.
- Eat fruits and vegetables to boost the immune system.
- The patient is advised to sleep on the back for several weeks to avoid any pressure on implants.
Who can perform Breast Augmentation?
Breast Augmentation can be done by a plastic surgeon or a well experienced cosmetic surgeon who has performed several successful breast augmentations before.
What can be the cost of Breast Augmentation?
Following factors may affect the cost of Breast Augmentation in Hyderabad:
- Admission fee
- Type of surgery planned to be performed
- Patient age
- Surgeon fee
- Type of implants used
- Health condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost in Hyderabad starts from Rs.37,000.
Average price in Hyderabad is approximately Rs.1,58,300.
Maximum expenses in Hyderabad rise up to Rs.5,00,000.
Is Breast Augmentation a major surgery or minor surgery?
Breast Augmentation is considered a major surgery as it involves general anesthesia, cuts, incisions under the breast, armpit or around the nipples.
Who can undergo Breast Augmentation?
Following are the individuals who can undergo Breast Augmentation:
- Women aged above 18 years
- Women aged above 22 years are eligible for silicone breast implants
- Women who had a mastectomy
- Undesired results after previous breast enhancement options like pills, fat grafting, etc.
Who cannot undergo Breast Augmentation?
Following are the individuals who cannot undergo Breast Augmentation:
- Girls below 18 years of age are not eligible for saline breast implants and below 22 years are not allowed to undergo silicone breast implants.
- Individuals who are suffering from some serious health issues such as heart diseases, blood clotting disorders, anemia, and weak immune system, etc.
What are the complications and risks involved in Breast Augmentation?
Following are the risks and complications of Breast Augmentation:
- Infection and pain in the breast
- Capsular contracture (where the scar tissue distorts the shape of the implants)
- Rupture of the implant
- Leakage of the implant
- Asymmetry and shrinking of the skin
- Tightening or hardening or lumps around the implant
- Deformed rib cage or chest wall
- Delayed healing of incisions
- Implants may extrude or come out of the incisions
- Toxic shock syndrome
- Unable to feel the area around the breast
What is the time required to complete Breast Augmentation?
A surgeon may take almost 2 to 3 hours to complete the Breast Augmentation.
What is the recovery time of Breast Augmentation?
Recovery time from Breast Augmentation maybe two to six weeks and depends on the health condition of the patient.
What is the success rate of Breast Augmentation?
Following factors may affect the success rate of Breast Augmentation:
- Patient age
- Health condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Type of surgery performed
- Immunity of the individual
Does Breast Augmentation cause pain?
Breast Augmentation does not cause any pain during surgery. However, after the surgery, there may be mild to moderate pain.
Is Breast Augmentation a permanent procedure/surgery?
Breast Augmentation may have a long lifespan but they are not considered permanent. You may need breast surgery again to correct the changes due to:
- Lifestyle modifications
- Size of implant
- Type of implant
What are the long-term effects of Breast Augmentation?
Following are the long-term effects of Breast Augmentation:
- Breast augmentation may not last more than 10 years and should be done after 10 years.
- Pain and swelling if implants are not placed properly.
- Hardening of the tissue around the breast.
- Leakage of implants into the surrounding breast tissues.
- Recommended taking MRI scans every two years to check the status of the implants.
- Long term effects may involve sagging of the breasts due to the weight of the implants.
What are the available options if Breast Augmentation is not successful?
If Breast Augmentation is not successful, then the doctor may suggest undergoing revision surgery.
- Breast implant and scar tissue removal
- Reconstruct the damaged tissue using tissue grafts
- Use of DIEP flap procedure
What can be the alternatives for Breast Augmentation?
The following are the alternatives for Breast Augmentation:
- Fat grafting: Use of fat cells of the patient to increase the breast size
- Mastopexy: plastic surgery performed to lift, modify the shape, size, elevation, and contour of the breasts.
- Pills and creams to help in the enlargement of the breasts. However, there is no guarantee that the usage of these pills and creams can increase the breast size.