Frequently Asked Questions
What is Vocal Cord Surgery?
Vocal Cord Surgery is the surgical procedure performed for the treatment of abnormalities of the vocal cords or vocal folds such as the growth of nodules, polyps, and cysts. These can be caused in individuals whose job requires raised voices, screaming, or talking for long periods. The vocal cords can also get damaged in individuals with habits like smoking, drinking, or viral infections, etc.
What are the types of Vocal Cord Surgeries?
- Micro-direct laryngoscopy with mass excision: Removal of vocal cord polyps or nodules.
- Micro-direct laryngoscopy with micro-flap mass excision: Removal of abnormal growths under the lining of the vocal cords.
- PDL/KTP lasers: Use of fine laser pulses endoscopically to remove the abnormal growth masses
What are the indications of Vocal Cord Surgery?
Vocal Cord Surgery is indicated in the following conditions:
- Laryngeal palsy
- Reduction of Adam's apple in transgender patients
- Tumors and nodules of the vocal cords
- Benign vocal cord lesions
Who are the best surgeons to perform Vocal Cord Surgery?
A certified and trained Oncologist, Radiation Surgeon or an ENT Specialist who is well experienced in Vocal Cord Surgery can perform this surgery.
What is the cost of Vocal Cord Surgery?
Minimum cost for Vocal Cord Surgery in Bangalore starts from Rs.50,000
Average expenses for Vocal Cord Surgery in Bangalore are approximately Rs.90,000
Maximum amount to be paid for Vocal Cord Surgery in Bangalore rises up to Rs.1,90,000
Cost of Vocal Cord Surgery depends on factors such as:
- Admission charges
- Consultation fee
- Patient age
- Type of hospital
- Patient consultation fee
Is Vocal Cord Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Vocal Cord Surgery can be either major or minor surgery depending on the initial diagnosis of the patient's medical condition and the surgical procedure performed.
What are the risks and complications associated with Vocal Cord Surgery?
Risks and complications associated with Vocal Cord Surgery are:
- Allergic reactions to anesthesia
- Hemorrhage or bleeding from the operative site
- Temporary numbness of the tongue
- Damage or injury to the vocal cords
- Scarring and permanent change in voice
How long does it take to complete Vocal Cord Surgery?
Vocal Cord Surgery may take around 1-3 hours to complete.
What is the recovery time for Vocal Cord Surgery?
Individuals who undergo Vocal Cord Surgery may take 1-2 months to recover completely.
What is the success rate of Vocal Cord Surgery?
The success rate of Vocal Cord Surgery depends on the following factors:
- Patient age and medical condition
- Experience of the surgeon
- Type of surgery performed
However, the success rate of Vocal Cord Surgery maybe 70-90%
Is Vocal Cord Surgery Permanent?
Vocal Cord Surgery may or may not be permanent depending on the medical condition like the presence of nodules, cancers or tumors of the vocal cords, mechanical damage to the vocal cords.
What are the long-term results of Vocal Cord Surgery?
Few of the long term results of Vocal Cord Surgery are:
- Restoration of the voice
- Treatment or cure for cancers and tumors of the vocal cord
- Change to a more masculine or feminine voice in transgender individuals
- Treatment of damaged voice nerves
Can Vocal Cord Surgery be detected in the future?
Vocal Cord Surgery may or may not be detected in the future as it is mostly done as a minimally invasive procedure.
What are the options if Vocal Cord Surgery fails?
If Vocal Cord Surgery fails, then the doctor may recommend revision surgery or an alternative approach.