Frequently Asked Questions
What is VAD Implantation?
VAD is abbreviated as the Ventricular Assist Device, which is a mechanical device that is implanted in the heart to support the weakened chambers of the heart. Usually, ventricular assist devices are implanted in the heart of an individual after a heart failure and individuals who are waiting for a heart transplant or not eligible for a heart transplant. In some cases, ventricular assist devices can be used as a “Bridge Recovery” aid for individuals with minor damage to the heart after a heart failure.
The following are the types of Ventricular assist devices:
- Left ventricular assist device [LVAD]
- Right ventricular assist device [RVAD]
- Biventricular assist device [BIVAD]
What are the advantages of VAD Implantation?
Few of the advantages of VAD Implantation are:
- Useful as a bridge recovery aid for individuals with minimal heart failure
- Can improve the heart function
- Decreases the load in the heart muscles to improve recovery
What are the indications of VAD Implantation?
VAD Implantation is indicated during the following conditions:
- Individuals with a high risk of heart failure
- Heart transplant
- Bridge recovery after an episode of acute heart failure
Who are the best surgeons to perform VAD Implantation?
A certified and trained Cardiology Surgeon who is well experienced in performing VAD Implantation can perform this surgery.
What is the cost of VAD Implantation?
Minimum cost for VAD Implantation in Bangalore starts from Rs.30,00,000
Average expenses for VAD Implantation in Bangalore is approximately Rs.50,00,000
Maximum amount to be paid for VAD Implantation in Bangalore rises up to Rs.90,00,000
Cost of VAD Implantation depends on factors such as:
- Admission charges
- Consultation fee
- Patient age
- Type of hospital
- Patient consultation charges
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
Is VAD Implantation a major surgery or minor surgery?
VAD Implantation is a major surgery as it involves incisions in the chest and implantation of the ventricular assist device in the affected chambers of the heart.
What are the risks and complications associated with VAD Implantation?
Risks and complications associated with VAD Implantation are:
- Blood clots
- Malfunction of the device
- Right heart failure
How long does it take to complete VAD Implantation?
VAD Implantation may take around 2-4 hours to complete.
What is the recovery time for VAD Implantation?
Individuals who undergo VAD Implantation may take around 2 months for complete recovery.
What is the success rate of VAD Implantation?
The success rate of VAD Implantation depends on the following factors:
- Patient age and medical condition
- Experience of the surgeon
However, the success rate of VAD Implantation maybe 75-80%
Is VAD Implantation Permanent?
VAD Implantation is a permanent surgery performed for individuals with heart failure.
What are the long-term results of VAD Implantation?
Few of the Long- term results of VAD Implantation are:
- Aid the recovery after a heart failure
- Help individuals to recover until they are fit for a heart transplant surgery
- Increase life expectancy in individuals who are ineligible for a heart transplant surgery
Can VAD Implantation be detected in the future?
VAD Implantation may or may not be detected in the future as the implant may or may not be removed from the individual depending on the medical condition.