Frequently Asked Questions
What is Ptosis Surgery?
Ptosis can be defined as the drooping of the upper eyelid which partly covers the pupil. As the person grows old the muscle that lifts the upper eyelid stretches and weakens making the eyelid to sag.
This will obstruct the vision or causes a sleepy tired face. Ptosis surgery is performed to tighten the muscle that lifts the upper eyelid.
What are the advantages of Ptosis Surgery?
The following are the advantages of Ptosis surgery:
- It helps in improving facial looks
- It helps in improving the vision by removing the excess skin that is blocking the eyesight
- It helps in reducing the puffiness and wrinkles around the eyes
What are the indications of Ptosis Surgery?
The following are the indications of Ptosis surgery:
- Bags under the eyes
- Droopy or saggy eyelids
- Excess skin on the upper eyelids which may interfere with the peripheral vision
- Excess skin on the lower eyelids
What is the preparation for Ptosis Surgery?
Following are the steps to be prepared before Ptosis surgery:
- Inform the doctor about the medications that you are taking and the past medical conditions.
- Discuss with the Surgeon regarding all the benefits, risks, and complications associated with Ptosis surgery.
- The patient's eyelids may be photographed from various angles which may help in planning the surgery.
- If you are using any soft contact lenses then they must be removed at least a week prior to the surgery.
- Avoid having food for at least 6 hours before the surgery.
- Also, avoid applying any creams or makeup on the day of surgery.
- Take the medications as instructed by the doctor.
- Don't read, write, or use a mobile phone or computer for about 30 minutes prior to the surgery or test.
What are the steps involved in Ptosis Surgery?
The following are the steps to be followed during Ptosis surgery:
- General anesthesia is given to the patient to numb the area and to reduce the pain.
- A small incision is made on the fold of the eyelid by the doctor to remove some excess fat, muscle, or sagging skin and then closes the incision.
- If the upper eyelid is drooping on the eye then the doctor provides extra support to the eyebrow muscle.
What is the post-surgery care/recovery care for Ptosis Surgery?
The following are the post-care steps to be followed after Ptosis Surgery:
- Do not let soap come into contact at the site of surgery.
- Do not rub the eyes for 2 weeks.
- Place ice packs on the operated area to reduce bruising or swelling.
- While sleeping, keep your head higher than your chest on the pillow.
- Do not use lotions, creams, make-up, etc around the operated area.
- Avoid going for a swim after the surgery at least for a week.
- Do not lift weights or play sports like tennis and racquetball for the next one week after the surgery.
- Avoid going to crowded places and dusty areas to reduce complications after the surgery.
- Use sunglasses while going out to protect eyes from direct sunlight and sensitivity to light.
- The patient may be asked not to consume alcohol for at least 1week post-surgery.
- Follow all the instructions given by the doctor.
- There should be follow-up visits to the doctor after this surgery after a week to monitor the condition or to remove any sutures if present.
- If there is intolerable pain that cannot be managed with pain killers or infection at the site of the surgery or if the incision is not healing or separating, bleeding at the site of incision, vision getting worse; consult the doctor immediately.
Who can perform Ptosis Surgery?
Ptosis surgery can be performed by a certified and skilled Oculoplastic Surgeon who is well experienced in cosmetic surgery or an experienced Ophthalmologist.
What is the cost of Ptosis Surgery?
Cost of Ptosis surgery in Bangalore depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of hospital
- Age of the patient
- Type of surgical procedure
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, Scanning, etc
The minimum cost in Bangalore starts from Rs.23,410.
An average cost in Bangalore is approximately Rs.28,370.
The maximum cost in Bangalore can be up to Rs.48,990.
Is Ptosis Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Ptosis surgery is considered minor surgery with minimal incisions.
What is the eligibility criteria for Ptosis Surgery?
The eligibility criteria for Ptosis surgery are as follows:
- Individuals who are having inward or outward eyelids
- People with weak eyelids around the eyes
- Individuals who have an eye injury or eyelid problem due to accidents or birth defects
- Individuals who need to change the appearance of the eyes
What is the ineligibility criteria for Ptosis Surgery?
The following are the ineligibility criteria for Ptosis surgery:
- Individuals who are having a poor immune system
- People with severe eye infections
What are the risks and complications associated with Ptosis Surgery?
The following are the risks of Ptosis Surgery:
- Skin discoloration
- Scarring of the tissue
- Feeling difficult to close the eyes
- Tissue sag
- Orbital hemorrhage
- Injury to eye muscles
How long does it take to complete Ptosis Surgery?
Ptosis surgery may take around 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on the type of surgery and complexity of the surgery.
What is the recovery time?
The bruising may be reduced within two weeks of the surgery and most people can return to the normal activities after a week or 10 days.
What is the success rate of Ptosis Surgery?
The success rate of Ptosis surgery depends on the following factors:
- The medical condition of the patient
- Type of surgery performed
- Age of the patient
Is Ptosis Surgery painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and discomfort. During Ptosis surgery, little discomfort may be experienced by the patients.
Is Ptosis Surgery permanent?
In Ptosis surgery, the eyelids are corrected which is a permanent procedure.
What are the long-term results of Ptosis Surgery?
The long-term result of Ptosis surgery is the improvement in the eyelids, eyebrows, and facial looks.
Can Ptosis Surgery be detected in future?
Ptosis surgery may be detected in the future by comparing the eye photos before and after the surgery.
What are the options if Ptosis Surgery fails?
If Ptosis surgery fails then the doctor may recommend revision surgery.
What are the alternatives for Ptosis Surgery?
The alternative for Ptosis surgery is Skin Resurfacing.