Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Hydrocele Repair?
A Hydrocele is the accumulation of fluid around the testicle. This will cause severe pain and discomfort in the scrotum. Hydrocele formation is very common in male children, mostly in newborns. Hydrocele Repair is the surgical removal of the hydrocele. This method is also called Hydrocelectomy. Most of the times a hydrocele cures by itself without treatment. Hydrocele Repair will shrink the size of the hydrocele by draining the fluid from it.
What are the advantages of Hydrocele Repair?
The following are the advantages of Hydrocele Repair:
- Hydrocele repair is the minimally invasive procedure with fewer cuts and incisions.
- It is safe with fewer complications.
- The recovery rate is very fast.
What are the indications of Hydrocele Repair?
The following are the indications for Hydrocele Repair:
- If the scrotum becomes too large
- Problems in the blood flow
- Pain or discomfort
What is the preparation for Hydrocele Repair?
The following are the preparation steps for Hydrocele Repair:
- Follow all the instructions given by the doctor or surgeon.
- The patient may be asked to stop eating and drinking for at least 6 hours before the procedure.
- In case if you are using any medications, inform your doctor about it and take them as directed.
- Consult with your Anesthesiologist after scheduling your surgery date.
- Your Anesthesiologist may ask you to undergo a few tests before your surgery. Be ready with those test reports prior to the day of surgery.
What are the steps involved in Hydrocele Repair?
The following are the steps involved in Hydrocele Repair:
- General anesthesia will be given to relax the patient.
- A small cut is made by the doctor in the fold of the groin and the fluid is drained.
- The sac holding the fluid is cut and removed and the muscle walls are strengthened with the stitches.
- In a few cases, the doctor uses a laparoscope during the procedure.
What is the postprocedure care/recovery care for Hydrocele Repair?
The following are the post-care steps for Hydrocele Repair:
- In most cases, the patient can go home after a few hours of the surgery.
- For children, restrict their activities for a few days.
- Take ample rest.
- The patient can return to normal activities after 4 -7 days.
Who can perform Hydrocele Repair [Right specialist type for Hydrocele Repair]?
Hydrocele Repair can be performed by a certified and skilled Andrologist or a Urologist who is well experienced in Hydrocele Repair.
What is the cost of Hydrocele Repair?
Cost of Hydrocele Repair depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of hospital
- Age of the patient
- Type of procedure
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as scanning, etc.
The minimum cost for Hydrocele Repair may be Rs.25,000
An average cost for Hydrocele Repair may be Rs.50,600
The maximum cost for Hydrocele Repair may be Rs.90,000
Is Hydrocele Repair a major surgery or minor surgery?
Hydrocele Repair is considered minor surgery as it involves a small incision and the recovery is quick with fewer complications.
What is the eligibility criteria for Hydrocele Repair?
The following are the eligibility criteria for Hydrocele Repair:
- Patients of all age groups can undergo this procedure.
- Patients with severe symptoms like pain and discomfort.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Hydrocele Repair?
The following are the ineligibility criteria for Hydrocele Repair:
- Active infection at the surrounding area that is to be operated
- Bleeding disorders
- Patients using blood thinners
What are the risks and complications associated with Hydrocele Repair?
The following are the risks involved in Hydrocele Repair:
- Blood clots
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
How long does it take to complete Hydrocele Repair?
The duration of the Hydrocele Repair may vary according to the type of procedures. The laparoscopic Hydrocele Repair may take less time than the open-cut surgery. It usually takes 30 minutes to complete the procedure.
What is the recovery time?
The recovery time for Hydrocele Repair is 3-4 weeks.
What is the success rate of Hydrocele Repair?
The success rate for Hydrocele Repair is approximately 88%.
Is Hydrocele Repair painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. You won't be experiencing pain during this process because you will be under general anesthesia.
Is Hydrocele Repair permanent?
Hydrocele Repair is not a permanent procedure. Sometimes there might be a recurrence of the Hydrocele and the procedure has to be repeated.
Can Hydrocele Repair be detected in the future?
Hydrocele Repair cannot be detected in the future as it involves only small incisions that can be cured.
What are the options if Hydrocele Repair fails?
If Hydrocele Repair fails then the doctor may recommend revision surgery.
What are the alternatives for Hydrocele Repair?
The following are the alternatives for Hydrocele Repair: