1. Can type 2 diabetes be cured permanently?
No, type 2 diabetes does not have a complete cure. It is possible to maintain a normal blood sugar level without any medication, with diet and weight loss.
2. Can bariatric surgery help reverse type 2 diabetes?
Yes, bariatric surgery helps manage type 2 diabetes. After this surgery, the blood sugar level returns to normal, and diabetes can be controlled.
3. What dietary modfications can reverse type 2 diabetes?
Modifications in the diet by including foods, such as healthy fats, whole grain, lean protein such as soy fish, poultry, beans, limited alcohol, limited sweets and a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, can reduce calories especially those from carbohydrates. This is beneficial to manage diabetes.
4. What medications are prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes?
Sulfonylureas such as glyburide and glipizide
Meglitinides such as repaglinide
Thiazolidinediones such as rosiglitazone
Dipeptidyl peptidase 4 (DPP-4) inhibitors
Glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1 receptor agonists
5. Can insulin help manage type 2 diabetes?
Yes, insulin helps to manage type 2 diabetes by maintaining the blood sugar level. Insulin is administered in two ways: injecting it with a needle or using an insulin pump.