Frequently Asked Questions
What is Breast Surgery?
Breast surgery is a medical procedure in which the size of the breasts is altered. There are different types of Breast Surgery. They are as follows:
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Lift
What are the advantages of Breast Surgery?
The following are the advantages of Breast Surgery:
- It gives volume to the breasts.
- Breasts with irregular shape can be rectified.
- It helps in symmetrical body shape.
- It restores breasts after pregnancy and aging.
- It helps to rebuild the breasts after mastectomy.
- It helps in building confidence.
- it helps in reducing the size of the breasts.
What are the indications of Breast Surgery?
The following are the indications for Breast Surgery:
- If you are not happy with the size of your breasts.
- If you want to enhance the appearance of your breasts.
- If you have lost the volume of your breast during the pregnancy or during the weight loss process.
What is the preparation for Breast Surgery?
The following are the preparation steps for Breast Surgery:
- Before undergoing this surgery, inform the doctor about your past medical history.
- The surgeon will examine the breasts to know what type of breast implants suit the patient.
- The patient may be asked to undergo certain blood tests before the surgery.
- The breast may be photographed from various angles to compare it with the breast after completion of the surgery.
- Smoking will delay recovery. Hence, the patient is advised to quit smoking until you are completely recovered and also prior to the surgery.
- The patient will be asked to remove the jewelry and contact lens that you are wearing.
- Discuss all the benefits, complications, and risks involved in Breast surgery with the doctor.
- Before going to the operation theater, the surgeon will mark the areas on the breast just to confirm how much size and what shape does the patient need.
What is the postprocedure care/recovery care for Breast Surgery?
The following are the post-care steps involved in Breast Surgery:
- The patient may suffer from pain, and swelling in the chest region. So, take the pain killers prescribed the doctor as directed.
- Nausea and vomiting may occur. In such cases, take the anti-nausea medications which are prescribed by your doctor.
- Keep the chest area clean all the time to prevent any infections.
- Post Breast Surgery, you may be recommended to wear a bandage to compress the breasts.
- The patient may be recommended to wear a sports bra to provide proper support to the breasts.
- Follow the doctor’s instructions on when to return to your regular work or activities.
- The patient is advised to avoid physical activities, workouts, strenuous exercise for at least two weeks.
- The patient needs to make follow-up visits to your doctor to remove sutures, to know if the sutures are healed, etc.
- Avoid sex and intercourse for a period of about 3 to 4 weeks.
- Eat fruits like apple, banana, pineapple, and kiwi, etc. to boost your immune system.
- The patient is advised to sleep on the back for several weeks and not on the stomach or sideways.
Who can perform Breast Surgery [Right specialist type for Breast Surgery]?
Breast Surgery can be performed by an experienced and skilled Plastic and Cosmetic surgeon.
What is the cost of Breast Surgery?
The cost of Breast Surgery may vary according to the:
- Doctors fee
- Hospital charges
- Medical condition
- Type of breast surgery
- Type of implants used
- Lab Tests recommended, etc
The minimum cost in Bangalore Starts from Rs.37,000
The average cost in Bangalore is Approximately Rs.1,58,000
The maximum cost in Bangalore can rise up to Rs.5,00,000
Is Breast Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Breast Surgery is considered major surgery. It involves general anesthesia, cuts or incisions under the arms, under the breast, or sometimes around the nipples. These cuts and incisions will be closed with sutures after the implantation.
What is the eligibility criteria for Breast Surgery?
The following are the eligibility criteria for Breast Surgery:
- Healthy women above 18 years of age.
- For silicone breast implants, women above 22 years are considered eligible.
- Women who underwent a mastectomy.
- Women who did not get the desired results after using other options like pills, fat grafting, etc.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Breast Surgery?
Ineligible candidates for breast implants are:
- Girls below 18 years of age are not eligible for saline breast implants and below 22 years are not allowed to undergo silicone breast implants.
- Individuals who are suffering from some serious health issues such as heart diseases, clotting disorders, or weak immune system, etc.
What are the risks and complications associated with Breast Surgery?
The following are the risks and complications involved with Breast Surgery:
- Pain in the breast
- Chances of developing an infection
- Capsular contracture (where the scar tissue distorts the shape of the implants)
- Rupture of the implant
- Leakage of the implant
- Sometimes there may be chances of asymmetry
- Shrinkage of the skin
- Hard lumps around the implant
- Tightening or hardening of the breast
- Chest wall appears deformed
- Incision site fails to heal or may take longer to heal
- Sometimes the skin may breakdown and the implants can be visible through it
- Toxic shock syndrome may occur
- Loss of sensation in nipples and around the breast area where the implants were placed
- Disappointing presentation of the breast after implant due to the size and style of the breast implant
How long does it take to complete Breast Surgery?
The duration of Breast surgery depends on the type of surgery that is performed. Approximately it may take 1-2 hours to complete the process.
What is the recovery time?
The recovery time of the Breast Surgery varies from one individual to the other depending on the type of surgery.
What is the success rate of Breast Surgery?
The success rate of Breast Surgery depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- Type of breast implant used
- The medical condition of the patient
- The immune response of the individual to the breast implant
- The lifestyle of the individual
Is Breast Surgery painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. You won't be experiencing pain during this process because you will be under anesthesia. There may be some pain after breast surgery. You will be prescribed with some pain killers to reduce the pain.
Is Breast Surgery permanent?
Breast Surgery may have a long lifespan but that is not considered permanent. You may need breast surgery again to correct the changes due to:
- Lifestyle modifications
- Size of implant
- Type of implant
What are the long-term results of Breast Surgery?
The following are the long-term results of Breast Surgery:
- There may be pain and swelling if the implants are not placed properly.
- Capsular contracture (hardening of the tissue) may occur around the breast.
- Sometimes silicone-based gel implants or saline-filled implants may leak into the breast tissues.
- Over time, implants may rip or tear. It is difficult to know if the silicone gel implants are torn, hence you are recommended to take MRI scans every two years to check for the leakage.
- Long term effects of Breast Surgery also involve sagging of the breasts. This may happen due to the weight of the implants.
Can Breast Surgery be detected in the future?
Breast Surgery can be detected in the future due to the implants present and the incisions on the chest.
What are the options if Breast Surgery fails?
If Breast Surgery fails:
- Remove the breast implant and the surrounding scar tissue
- Reconstruct the damaged tissue using the patient’s own tissue
- DIEP flap procedure
What are the alternatives for Breast Surgery?
The following are the alternatives of Breast Surgery:
- Fat grafting: The fat cells of the patient are used to increase the breast size and this process is called fat grafting.
- Mastopexy: In this process, plastic surgery is performed to lift the breasts, and modify the shape, size, elevation, and contour of the breasts.
- Pills and creams which help in the enlargement of the breasts. (The pills and creams are not regulated by the pharmaceutical companies and there is no guarantee that the usage of these pills and creams will increase the breast size).