1. What symptoms are seen in muscle spasm?
The symptoms observed during muscle spasm depend upon the involved muscles. They are as follows:
- Muscle pain
- Muscle weakness, discomfort
- Local swelling or redness
- Loss of sensation
2. How is muscle spasm treated?
Muscle spasm is managed after determining and treating the fundamental cause. The treatment options include:
- Stretching exercises
- Administration of pain killers such as ibuprofen
- Muscle relaxants like diazepam, baclofen
- Hydration, rest
- Application of heat
3. Can muscle spasms be serious?
Most of the muscle spasms are not severe in nature; however, sometimes it can occur due to severe fundamental diseases such as ischaemia, spinal cord injury, nervous system disorders and kidney disorders.
4. What are the causes of muscle spasm?
Muscle spasms primarily occur due to the following reasons:
- Nerve compression
- Overuse of muscle resulting in fatigue
- Heat cramps
- Kidney disorders, spinal cord injury along with nervous system disorders
- Menstrual cramps, Parkinsonism
5. Can exercises help to relieve a muscle spasm?
Yes, exercises can help in relieving muscle spasm. Stretching exercises help in muscle spasm by reducing muscle tension. However, rigorous exercises should be avoided.