1. What are the causes of allergy?
Different causes of allergy include
- Food like cow's milk, shellfish, peanuts
- Products made of latex
-Medications like penicillin
Risk factors for allergy are stress, environmental factors like pollution, infection and poor immune function.
2. How do I identify if I am allergic to a particular substance?
Different diagnostic tests for allergy include
- Skin prick tests, patch testing
-Allergen blood test to assess the presence the allergen specific IgE antibodies.
-Lung function tests/ X-rays
- IgE levels
3. What are the complications associated with an allergic condition?
Complications associated with an allergic condition include
-Respiratory, ear infections
-Nasal polyps, headache
4. What are the treatment methods for allergies?
Treatment methods for allergies include
-Medications like antihistamines, steroids, mast cell stabilizers, anticholinergics, leukotriene receptor antagonists.
- Avoiding the allergen
5. What are seasonal allergies?
Seasonal allergies are allergies that can happen during certain times of the year, usually during spring or summer when certain plants pollinate. These allergies develops when the immune system has an exaggerated reaction to something which is usually harmless from the environment.