134 Best Doctors for Chickenpox Treatment in Ahmedabad
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is chickenpox?
It is a condition caused by varicella-zoster virus. It commonly affects children and causes red itchy blisters on the body. It is a self-limiting infection which goes away within 7 days without consulting a physician. However, you should consult a doctor if you experience such blisters on skin as it may also occur in some other skin condition requiring doctor's help. Reinfection is very rare.
2. How do I know if I am infected with chickenpox?
You might be infected with varicella-zoster virus if you experience the symptoms of chickenpox. Red itchy rash on the skin anywhere on the body along with headache, loss of appetite and fever are the common symptoms of chickenpox. The blisters are typically filled with a clear fluid.
3. What causes chickenpox and what are different stages it goes through?
It is a viral infection caused by varicella-zoster virus. This virus spreads through contact with the infected person, such as contact with fluid from blisters and droplets from coughing and sneezing.
Chickenpox occurs in three stages:
- Formation of red or pink rash on the skin
- The bumps turning into fluid-filled blisters
- Blister becomes crusty and scabs over before healing
4. How soon are symptoms expected to appear after contact with chickenpox?
You may start experiencing symptoms of chickenpox about one to three weeks after coming in contact with the virus.
5. How long can chickenpox be infectious?
Individuals with chickenpox act as carriers and spread infections. Individuals with chickenpox are infectious from two days before the appearance of red spots until the scabs are formed.