1. What are the causes of a cataract?
Cataract can be caused by the following reasons:
- Diabetes or exposure to radiation
- Genetic or hereditary reasons
- Medications like steroids
2. What are the early signs and symptoms of a cataract?
The preliminary signs and symptoms of a cataract are as follows:
- Blurred vision
- Sensitivity to light or double vision
- Halos around light
- Difficulty to visualizing in light
3. Can cataract be completely cured?
The complete treatment and cure of cataract is available nowadays by advanced surgical methods such as phacoemulsification. Cataract surgical involves the removal of clouded lens and its further replacement with artificial lens.
4. Who is at a high risk of cataracts?
The risk factors for cataract are as follows:
- Smoking or obesity
- Advanced age
- Use of steroids
- Eye surgery
5. How is cataract diagnosed?
The diagnosis of cataract are done by:
- Examining medical history and signs/symptoms
- Eye examination
- Tests like visual acuity tests
- Retinal examination
- Slit lamp examination