Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What are the causes of numbness?
Numbness is usually caused by compression of a nerve. Its causes are
- herniated disc, brain tumour, aneurysm, acoustic neuroma
- carpal tunnel syndrome, brachial plexus injury
- peripheral neuropathy, spinal cord injury, stroke
- diabetes, alcoholism
- medication side effects
- leprosy, syphilis
- vitamin B12 deficiency
2. Which body parts can be affected by numbness?
Numbness usually affects arms, legs, and face; however, any part of the body can become numb. It can affect one side of the body and it depends upon the nerve that has been affected.
3. Is there any treatment for numbness?
Yes, there is a treatment for numbness and it depends upon the underlying cause. Treatment includes
- corticosteroids to reduce inflammation
- gabapentin, pregabalin
- surgery, stress reduction on the nerve
- heat therapy
4. Can physiotherapy help to cure numbness?
Yes, physiotherapy can help to cure numbness as exercises can help in releasing the pressure on the nerve. This helps in pain relief and improving numbness.
5. For what duration will I need the treatment for numbness?
It depends upon the underlying cause and treatment used. It may take several months in certain conditions for the treatment of numbness.