Ringworm is a fungal infection of the skin. The fungi lives on the dead tissues on the top layer of the skin. The fungal infection of the skin of the body is known as tinea corporis. If it occurs in between the toes then its is called as athlete’s foot, if it spreads to the groin then it is called as jock itch and ringworm of scalp is known as tinea capitis.Ringworm often spread through direct skin to skin contact with the infected person.
Risk of having ringworm are higher if:
- You have close contact with the person having ringworm.
- You live in a warm climate.
- You have weak immunity.
- You wear tight clothing.
- You share your clothes, towel, bed with the infected person.
- You don’t maintain hygiene
Ringworm rarely spread to the deeper layers of the skin thus there is no serious illness apart from people who have weak immune system require long time to get rid of the infection.
SYMPTOMS & CAUSES
- Red, itchy, flat and scaly rashes on the skin
- The rash I’d clear and flat at center but raised at the borders forming a circular, irregular rough ring.
Ringworm is an infection caused by fungus which is contagious. The fungi lives on the top most layer of the skin and thrives on the dead skin cells. It may spread through different ways:
DIRECT CONTACT WITH INFECTED PERSON:
skin to skin contact with an infected human would infect the other person as well.
ANIMAL TO HUMAN: if you get in association with an animal having ringworm then you can contract infection from it.
POOR HYGIENE: if you don’t maintain hygiene then there are increased chances.
CONTACT WITH INFECTED OBJECTS: clothes, towel, bed, comb, brush of the infected person can spread infection to other people.
DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT
The appearance of the ringworm is enough for diagnosis. Although skin scrapings from the affected area can be examined under microscope would confirm the diagnosis.
Usual treatment is anti-fungal medication which would control the infection but homeopathic medicines are much more effective in treating the fungal infection permanently and without any side effects. Anti-fungal creams and medication would just suppress it and ringworms would appear again.
If you have fungal infection then:
- You should never share your personal things like clothes, bed, towel etc with anyone.You should maintain hygiene so that the infection doesn’t spread more.
- Take bath everyday.
- Wear clean cotton clothes.
- Wear loose clothes as tight clothes would aggravate the condition.
- Avoid contact with infected things, person, animals.
- Avoid excessive sweating.
- Educate yourself and others so that catching the infection and further spread could be prevented.
- Take homeopathic medicines.
Ringworm could be very rigid and tough to cure. Anti-fungal medicines and lotion just suppress it temporarily. To get permanent cure, homeopathy is a good option as the medicines would treat the infection permanently.
Medicines like sepia, bacillinum, tuberculinum, sulphur, Cal carb etc are very good for treatment of ringworm. But the medicines should only be taken after consulting a good homeopath and self medication could be harmful.
DO’S & DON’TS
- Maintain hygiene
- Bath everyday
- Know about ringworm
- Wear clean clothes
- Keep the infected area clean and dry
- Wear loose clothes
- Don’t share your clothes, bed, towel with anyone
- Avoid contact with infected person
- Avoid excessive sweating
- Don’t wear tight clothes