Prevent or Control Diabetes with Weight Loss and Diet
India has more than 69 million people living with diabetes and many more are still unaware that they are at an increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. Though this fact makes us sad, the good news is that diabetes can be managed with healthy lifestyle modifications and it is possible to prevent or delay the occurrence of Type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes prevents the body from making or properly using insulin. This results in high blood glucose, or sugar, levels in the blood. Type 2 diabetes is associated with certain risk factors and these factors place an individual at a higher risk for developing this disease.
Who are the people at risk for Diabetes?
Risk factors for Type 2 diabetes include old age, obesity, family history of diabetes, impaired glucose metabolism, physical inactivity, history of gestational diabetes and race/ethnicity. Research proves that Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed with weight loss (if needed) through diet changes and exercise. Such steps also decrease the risk of diabetes complications such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, nerve damage, blindness and other health problems.
Keep diabetes under control:
Diabetics can control blood sugar levels and prevent complications by eating smart, losing weight and remaining active. Tips to manage diabetes include:
- Restricting foods that have high added sugars
- Eating small portions throughout the day
- Choosing healthy carbs such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables instead of sugary drinks and refined, processed foods. Include fruits, vegetables and whole grains as a part of your daily diet
- Using less salt
- Avoid or limit consumption of alcohol
- Eat more of healthy fats such as avocados, olive and canola oil and nuts while restricting saturated fats
People diagnosed with diabetes can meet an RDN who can create a simple eating plan customized for them, after noting down intricate details such as the person’s weight, medicines, lifestyle and other health problems.