What is CAM?
Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is to describe a diverse group of healing systems that are not presently considered to be part of mainstream medicine.Health and disease involve a complex interaction of physical, spiritual, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, and social factors.
What are the basic principles of CAM?
The focus is on the whole person -- physical, emotional, social and spiritual.
- Prevention of illness is a primary concern.
- Treatments are highly individualised.
- Treatments are aimed at the causes of illness rather than at its symptoms.
- Treatments are designed to support the natural healing processes of the body.
What are the major types of CAM?
- Alternative Medical Systems: built upon complete systems of theory and practice. Examples include homeopathy, naturopathy, traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), Siddha and Ayurveda.
- Biological Medicine: use of substances found in nature, such as herbs, animals, foods, and vitamins to promote health.
- Energy Medicine: involves the use of energy fields to promote health. Examples of biofield therapies include qi gong, Reiki, and Therapeutic Touch.Other forms of energy medicine involve the use of electromagnetic fields, such as electroacupuncture.
- Manual Medicine: based on manipulation and/or movement of one or more parts of the body. Examples include osteopathy, physical therapy, massage, chiropractic and reflexology.
- Mind-Body Medicine: uses a range of techniques that help boost the mind's ability to influence bodily functions and symptoms. Examples include biofeedback, deep relaxation, guided imagery, hypnotherapy, meditation, prayer, support groups, and yoga.
- Beautiful stages in the healing of disease: there are Seven beautiful stages such as Peace, Hope, Joy, Faith, Certainly, Wisdom and Love.There are some time-honoured Bach flower remedies of England as stated below-
MIND AND HEALTH
ELIXER OF LIFE: KAYAKALPA
Tiredness of body-OliveBrain tired, Boredom -WalnutDread-Hornbeam God’s grace –Sweet chestnut
Health depends on being in harmony with our soul- Dr Edward Bach
Health Insurance: Water violet + Red chest nut
Doctor’s Tonic: Red chest nut + Vine + Chestnutbud + cereto.
I.C.UNIT: Water violet for patientRed chest nut + Rock water + Gorse + Sweet chestnut for relatives
MIND AND WEALTH
“Prayer made in faith”-Holy Bible.
Sweet chestnut for abject despair
Gorse for settled despair.
To buy own house:Crab apple + Aspen +Sweet chestnut +Gorse +Chicory.
For Family Problems: Mustard + Vine+ Chest nutbud.
For the settlement of children’s marriage: Parents: Sweet chestnut +Walnut/Surabha Bride/Bridegrooms: Elm.
To earn lot of money/respect: Agrimony + Oak.
To get more gold/golden jewels: Agrimony +Wild rose +Water violet.
For settling down in life: Mustard +Gentian + Wild rose would help you
MIND AND EDUCATION
Slowness in Learning& Escapist mentality - Chestnutbud
Unsteadiness of mind- Scleranthus
Lack of self-confidence-Larch
Blames others for our own mistakes-Willow
Regret over missed chances-Honeysuckle.
Teacher/Lecturer/Professor : Elm +Chestnutbud +Walnut.Scientist/Researcher: Estare-de-colonge. (Exploration)Written exam/ Interview: Rock rose,pine,oak (+Elm).
Buisness executives: Elm + Water violet + Impatiens + Walnut + Chest nutbud /Red chestnut.
MIND AND RELATIONS
Family problems: Chestnutbud + Vine + Mustard.
Life/Lifetime problems- Mustard.
In-Laws Problems: Elm.
Maharaja yogam: Chestnutbud +Gentian +Honeysuckle for men.
Mahalaximi yogam;Elm/ Mustard +Rockrose for women.
Clear case of addiction indeed -Walnut
Unsteadiness of mind- Scleranthus
To forget worries- Agrimony
The status monger- Vine
Irresistible temptation- Cherry plum
Celebrative mongers- Wild rose
Tonic monger- Hornbeam
Nervous fellow- Mimulus
What is spirituality?
Faith. A person's most deeply held beliefs strongly influence his or her health. Faith increases the body's resistance to stress.Hope. Without hope—a positive attitude that a person assumes in the face of difficulty—many people become depressed and are more prone to illness. Forgiveness. Forgiveness is a release of hostility and resentment from past hurts.Love and Social Support. A close network of family and friends that lends help and emotional support has been found to offer protection against many diseases. What is the future of spirituality in medical practice?Prayer. The act of putting oneself in the presence of or conversing with a higher power has been used as a means of healing across all cultures throughout the ages. There is also interesting research emerging that evaluates the impact of religion and spirituality