Problems with bipolar disorder are significantly stressful. However, apart from mental health professionals, the person himself can help to deal with the symptoms on time. The following points highlight self help skills to combat bipolar disorder:
1. Get involve in identifying your immediate symptoms or warning signs:
Doing so, it helps one to take necessary first hand preventive measure. For example, monitoring feelings, mood swings and sleep patterns can help avoiding full blown bipolar episodes.
2. Structure a back-up plan during full blown episode:
In case you are not able support yourself, you can help yourself by listing few contacts numbers whom you can contact during the crisis. For example, contact numbers of family members,friends, support group and psychiatrist/psychologist.
3. Avoid isolation:
Try not to isolate yourself.Involve yourself with others especially with support group. Such group includes people suffering from bipolar disorder. Also mingle with your parents, siblings or spouse. Share your immediate thoughts and feelings. It will help you to unleash your suppressed emotions.
4. Initiate a routine life that includes a proper diet, exercise,leisure activities, and quality sleep. You can do it by making a daily activity schedule.
5. Avoid using addictive substances: alcohol and drugs.
6. Adhere to the medicines prescribed by the psychiatrist. Also become aware about the need for taking them.