Polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD)
What is PCOD?
This condition has enlarged ovary and small follicular cysts which have 0.5-1.0 cm diameter. It leads to hormonal imbalance which leads to collection of mature eggs in the ovary as they cannot be discharged. These immature follicles are called as cysts. This is a vicious cycle, some cysts leads to more cysts and this cycle goes on.
- Diet, Sedentary lifestyle
- Hormonal imbalance
- Stress, lack of exercise
Signs & symptoms:
- Irregular periods
- Hair pattern like male pattern
- Storage of fat at abdominal area
- Sometimes Infertility
Ayurveda perspective for treatment
- Ayurveda medicines help in naturally balancing the hormones thus the menstrual cycles get regulated in natural way and not depending upon hormonal treatments
- Associated symptoms like weight gain , hair pattern and infertility issues can be addressed along depending upon the individual issues.
- Rasayana Therapy is a unique therapy which aims towards restoration of health, strengthening of body tissues, preventing PCOD & it's complications and improving quality of life.
Panchakarma treatments for PCOD
- Basti (enema )treatments are very useful for hormonal balance and detoxification of the body. It is also helpful in strengthening the reproductive system and in regularizing the periods.
- Yoni picchu & Yoni dhavan - Local treatments like vaginal douche and cleaning the vaginal area with medicated decoctions and oils . It helps in treating erosions, vaginal inflammations and also is a part of infertility treatments and PCOD treatment.
- Shirodhara to help alleviate mental stress & Abhyanga (massage ) for physical stress.
Prevention of PCOD
1. Yoga poses helpful in PCOD :
- Baddhakonasana (Butterfly pose)
- Supta Baddhakonasana (Reclining butterfly pose)
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
- Naukasana (Boat pose)
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose), Padmasana (Lotus pose)
- Shavasana (corpse pose)
Herbal treatments useful in PCOD:
- Combination of quarter tspn of Shatavari powder (Asparagus racemosus ) , quarter tspn of Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia ), quarter tspn of Methi ( Fenugreek ) powder , quarter tspn Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris) , quarter tspn triphala powder daily 3 times a day help in regulating menses naturally.
- Dashmoolarishtam is a drug of choice and helpful in all symptoms of PCOD.
But for a chronic PCOD , a full fledged treatment under the able guidance of an Ayurveda expert is definitely recommended to plan a proper course for long term relief.