Chronic pancreatitis or pancreatic stone diseases are formations of calcification or stones in the pancreatic duct causing duct blockage. It may lead to obstruction and pancreatic leading to acute pain in stomach radiating to back or chronic lingering pain. It may lead to indigestion leading to 5 to 6 foul-smelling greasy stools with early onset of diabetes, weight loss and malnutrition.
Causes of this disease are:
- Alcohol intake
- Tropical or hereditary origin
- Too much fat intake
Early diagnosis is needed to cure it:
- Ultrasound abdomen followed by MRI abdomen can achieve the diagnosis.
- Causative factor should be treated.
- Alcohol intake needs to be curbed.
- Gallbladder removal to be done if stones in the gallbladder are the causative factor.
If too many symptoms are there, medical treatment like painkillers, antoxipan and pancreatic enzyme supplements like Creon can help in relieving symptoms.
- Extreme cases may need pancreatic endotherapy or surgery to open the duct and remove the stones called lateral pancreaticojejunostomy may be needed.
- Avoid fatty diet.
- Treat early diabetes and take pancreatic enzyme supplements to avoid further damage to the pancreas.
- Fatty pancreas report on ultrasound should be investigated with amylase lipase blood levels to rule out this condition.