In this article I will try to describe in brief about the control measures of covid 19 disease with the rationale of use of each methods.
What does control of a disease mean?
- Control is when a disease ceases to be a Public health problem.
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID‑19) is an infectious disease caused by A VIRUS called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2(SARS-CoV-2).
Why Viral diseases are unique?
Viruses are living organisms that cannot replicate without a host cell. Diseases caused by viruses generally have NO CURE , but vaccination can offer protection.
What makes COVID-19 more Unique?
- It’s a new disease ( very less is known about the natural history of this disease)
- It’s a viral disease so treatment is difficult.
- All available evidence for COVID-19 suggests that SARS-CoV-2 has a zoonotic (animal source).
How does it spread in Humans & What are the modes of transmission ?- It spreads from an infected person 2 days before the onset of symptoms till the symptoms are present ( 10-14 days after symptoms).
- If the person is infected by the virus but have no symptoms ( asymptomatic) can spread the disease.
MODES OF TRANSMISSION
- Person to Person
- Household transmission
- Contact with infected Surfaces/ Objects
Measures to control the spread
As we know now the mode of spread most important step in control is
Control of Source of infection.
Source of infection is the patient / person infected with Covid 19.
This can be done by Early diagnosis & Isolation ( the complete separation from others) of the patients till they have symptoms ( atleast 10-14 days from start of illness).
So, it is very important to get medical attention early and stay at home isolated when not feeling well for early diagnosis & isolation.
As the patients are infectious even before they have symptoms contact tracing is very important to control the disease.
Contacts Of the patient should be traced and Quarantined( Quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms) for 14 days.
IMPACT OF PREVENTING JUST ONE INFECTION
- Social Distancing/ Physical distancing means keeping a safe space (6 feet/ about 2 arms’ length) between yourself and other people.
- Respiratory Hygiene means Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.Use tissues and throw them away.Wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer every time you touch your mouth or nose.
- Mask use In Public places Proper mask use and disposal.
Control of source of infection by early diagnosis & Isolation, Contact tracing and Quarantine is very important aspect in Control of Covid-19 disease.
If appropriately done can yield good results along with other preventive measures of personal protection.
Hope this article will help to understand the measures of control better.