Contact dermatitis is a common condition in day to day life. Dermatitis meaning inflammation of the skin.

It is a condition in which the inflammation of skin occurs after coming in contact with certain substances (allergens), its incidence is more than 25%. 

Common  substance (allergen) includes: Nickel, Detergent, garlic, kerosene, cements, cosmetic products, perfume bleaching agents and wall paints. Skin morphology shows redness, itching, oozing, and blisters in acute stage.

In chronic stage, repeated use of allergen leads to thickening of the skin, dryness, and formation of fissures.

How is contact dermatitis treated?

Most cases of contact dermatitis go away on their own once the substance is no longer in contact with the skin.  

  • Avoid scratching your irritated skin. Scratching can make the irritation worse or even cause a skin infection that requires antibiotics. 
  • Clean your skin with mild soap and lukewarm water to remove any irritants. 
  • Stop using any products you think might be causing the problem. 
  • Apply bland petroleum jelly like Vaseline to soothe the area. Barrier cream helps to protect skin from allergen used for occupational contact dermatitis. It forms a barrier between your skin and the allergen.
  • Oral medication is used for severe cases.