Approximately 95% people suffer from type 2 diabetes, which is primarily obesity & lifestyle related diabetes and can be prevented by diet modification & exercise. We normally diagnose diabetes when fasting blood sugar is more than 125 mg/dl, which is primarily affected by hours of fasting and quantity & quality of carbohydrate meal consumed at dinner last night. Also, 2 hours post prandial blood sugar depends on what we consume at breakfast or lunch. More than 200 mg/dl is diagnosed as diabetes. Majority of obese people, who are in the range of fasting sugars 100-125 mg/dl and/or post lunch sugars in range of 140-200 mg/dl, are about to develop diabetes in succeeding years are termed as Prediabetic. Diabetes can be reversed at Prediabetes stage with lifestyle modification (diet & exercise).
Home remedies can help you a lot to control blood sugars at Prediabetes stage to prevent its progress to Diabetes.
Now, we have a more reliable test called HbA1c ( Glycated Hemoglobin), which shows an average of blood sugars over last 3 preceding months which is not affected by hours of fasting and quality of food consumed. Normal person has a HbA1c value of 5.7% or less. Prediabetic person ranges between 5.7 -6.4 % of HbA1c , 6.5 % & above is diagnosed as Diabetes.
(HbA1c value is also affected by certain rare conditions like blood loss, hemoglobinopathies, adminstration of certain drugs like aspirin, Vitamin C, etc.)
Type 2 Diabetes is a progressive disease. When diabetes develops approximately 60% of pancreatic beta cells are dead and eventually over the time beta cells keep on diminishing and finally a stage arrives when exogenous insulin is necessary to control blood sugar.
Natural home remedies are fruits and vegetables which helps to lower sugar by reducing carbohydrate absorption from gut, delaying gastric emptying or preserving and promoting beta cell function.
In prediabetic stage these home remedies can help a lot to prevent its progress to diabetes. Also, in case of already developed diabetes these home remedies along with medication, can help to keep sugar under control. In diagnosed diabetes patients it is not an alternative to medication but adjunct to medication.
Commonly used Natural home remedies includes :
- Fenugreek (Methi): Methi seeds can be soaked in water overnight and can be consumed in morning along with water or powdered methi seeds can be consumed along with milk or water. Normally two tablespoon is an appropriate quantity.
- Bitter gourd (Karela): Drinking karela juice daily on an empty stomach helps to lower sugar
- Cinnamon (Dalacini): Adding dalacini to beverages and food helps to lower blood sugar to some extent.
- Indian Goosebery (Amla): Amla is a rich source of Vitamin C. Drinking small quantity of amla juice daily helps to lower sugars.
- Black Plum (Jamun): Powdered dried seeds of Jambul can be consumed along with water on empty stomach daily or jambul fruits can be consumed directly.
- Other Natural home remedies includes consumption of guava, powder of mango leaves with water, black coffee without sugar, green tea, okra, aloe vera, cloves, peas etc
All these home remedies are effective only if they are consumed daily for atleast 2-3 months. In known diabetes patients already on insulin or certain medication, occasional or sudden use may induce Hypoglycemia. In such a case, it is advisable to consult your diabetologist before starting such home remedies.
- Lifestyle modification with diet & exercise.
- Daily high quality sleep to minimize stress.
- Avoid smoking & tobacco.
- Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Staying lean with healthy diet & regular exercise is key to prevent diabetes.