Here are 9 quick home, natural and safe remedies to treat cold and cough of infants/ babies:
1. Breastfeeding: It is the first and foremost solution to treat cold and cough for your newborn. Breast Milk improves the immunity of your child to fight against bacteria, germs, and virus. You can put few drops of breastmilk in each nostril of your baby.
2. Vicks baby rub: ( use only for babies above 4 months of age). You just need to rub it on the bottom of your baby’s feet and cover the feet with cotton or woolen socks, depending on the weather. Vicks baby rub allows the airways to open up and thus breaks down mucus. Cooling effect (menthol) of baby rub does the trick with the brain that your baby is not congested and airways are open. So, this remedy is useful to let your baby sleep comfortably without coughing throughout the night.
3. Steam inhalation 2-3 times/day: It helps to clear the blockage and loosen the mucus in your baby’s nose.
4. Elevate baby's head: To make your baby sleep comfortably, elevate its head slightly using a pillow. It helps your child to breathe easily during congestion.
5. Saline nasal drops: Put saline drops in each nostril of your baby as this would help to clear the nose.
6. Honey and ginger mixture: Mix honey & ginger or cinnamon powder and give 2 pinches of this mixture to your baby 3 times/day.
7. Cloves & turmeric powder mixture: Dry roast cloves or turmeric powder & mix it with honey (grind roasted cloves), then give 1-2 gm of this mixture 3 times /day before sleeping.
8. Herbal decoction: Ingredients: Ajwain 1tsf, tulsi leaves 8-10, dry ginger powder 1/2 tsf, clove 1, black pepper 5, Turmeric 1/2tsf, jaggery 1/3 cup, water 1/2 cup. Mix all & boil it for 10 mins on medium flame then drain the liquid & let it be cool down. Give this solution to the baby twice a day.
9. Saffron: It is helpful in curing blocked chest and congestion. Take a pinch of saffron, grind or rub it to make a paste with the help of water. Apply it on baby's chest, throat, forehead & under the feet at night. You can do this everyday until baby is relieved from cold and congestion.