Winter can be a difficult time for the skin. The cold air robs the natural moisture from your skin, leaving it dry and itchy. It can cause severe dry skin, eczema and Psoriasis.
Here are few essential tips for the season-
1) Avoid hot showers - Its very tempting to have hot water bath especially in winter but hot water absorbs the moisture making it dry, instead use lukewarm water. Apply a gentle moisturizer immediately after bath because moisture seals best on damp skin.
2) Stay hydrated - This is most important in winter because air is much dry in winter which can evaporate all the moisture. The best way to keep your skin hydrated is to take a Steam. Face steaming is done to open the pores and let the skin breathe, which increases blood circulation reduces acne and pimples loosens black and white heads.
3) Use skin care products wisely - What makes your skin happy in summer can make it sad in winter so the key to make your skin happy and healthy is using your skin care products wisely. Instead of artificial skin care products, you can replace it with natural products such as applying aloe vera gel with almond oil. Combination of aloe vera and almond oil makes an excellent moisturiser which softens skin, imparts glow, reduces dark circles and blemishes. Use of natural milk cream is another way for healthy skin in winter. The saturated fat of Malai is considered as the best remedy for beautiful, flawless supple skin. Avoid masks and peels, astringent lotions or any other skin care products which contain alcohol as it can make your skin dry.
Home made butter is another healthy way par excellence to keep your skin nourished thereby keeping all skin problems at bay.
4) Protect your skin - The warm UV rays though feels pleasant can damage your skin to a great extent so wear gloves, goggles, cap to protect your skin from the dry cold wind. Apply sunscreen lotion. You can make use of coconut oil, Vitamin E oil which provides the best natural sunscreen for healthy skin especially in winters.
5) Do not exfoliate your skin much - Once a week is fine because your skin barrier is already compromised due to dry and cold weather. Drier the skin, more the sebum it produces which leads to increased clogging. This in turn will cause acne and breakouts.
Have a happy and healthy winter!