Modern sciences relate the early onset of osteoporosis to these factors:
- Family history/genetics
- Female sex
- Poor exercise
- Low body weight/anorexia
- Low sun exposure
- Estrogen deficiency
- Testosterone deficiency
- Low calcium/vitamin D intake
- Prednisolone use
- Liver and renal disease (think about vit d synthesis)
- Medications (antiepileptics, heparin)
- Malignancies (metastatic disease; multiple myeloma can present as osteopenia!)18. Hemiplegia s/p CVA/ immobility
- All causes due to which bones are not nourished or formed
- Less diet containing Prithvi (Earth) and Aap (Water) Mahabhuta
- Less physical activity
- Less sweet diet
- More consumption of fatty diet
- Alcohol, (Alcohol increases fat deposition and less bone formation by Ayurvedic principle)
- It is very important to diagnose the patient.
- According to Ayurveda every case of osteoporosis is not treated under the heading of osteoporosis.
- So there is no unique protocol to cure.
- We make our diagnosis according to etiology, symptoms and pathology.
- Most of the time osteoporosis is associated with many other diseases or conditions like obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, skin diseases, etc. So at that time line of treatment is changed and that is the reason why Ayurveda cure disease from its root.