Most adults in India have gum disease to some degree and most people experience it at least once. It's much less common in children.
Symptoms of gum diseases:
- Gums become swollen, sore or infected
- Bleeding from gums
- Bad breath
This early stage of bleeding gums known as gingivitis if not treated leads to periodontitis which affects the supporting structures around teeth i.e. bone, soft tissues. If left untreated, leads to spaces, loose tooth and tooth fall.
- Build-up of plaque on the teeth which is a sticky substance that contains bacteria. If not removed by brushing, then forms a hard layer called tarter which requires professional clean up
- Brushing hard or using a hard brush
- Just started flossing
- Medications, like blood thinners
- Ill-fitting dentures
- Other diseases like Diabetes, Hemophilia, lack of Vitamin C & Vitamin K
Seeing your dentist:
You should definitely see your dentist if your gums are painful, swollen or if they bleed when you brush your teeth and rule out the cause.
Preventing and treating gum diseases:
- Maintaining good oral hygiene with brushing twice a day, flossing and bi-annual dental check ups
- Professional clean up by your dentist followed by any further planned treatment
Remember gum diseases are very common leading to major complications due to our unawareness and ignorance, but if treated at the right time, it’s reversible.