Psoriasis is a chronic dermatosis characterised by an unpredictable course of remission and relapse. It is a non-infectious skin disease characterized by scaly, silvery patches mainly on the scalp and exterior surface of the body. Its exact cause is unknown. In Ayurveda, it closely resembles ekakushta. The features of ekakushta explain in Ayurveda classics resembles the symptoms of psoriasis. In Ayurveda, Vata Pitta and Kapha dosha is the main contributory factor for the disease. Due to vitiation of three dosha, the disease manifest and main line of treatment for psoriasis is panchakarma and internal medicine. It is considering the best approach for skin disorder in Ayurveda.
Etiology of Psoriasis: Unknown but many factors have been associated:
- Genetic: may be autosomal dominant triggers: physical trauma, infection and drugs.
- Biochemical change: like increase level of arachidonic acid and Cgmp.
- Immunological factors: helper T cells PLAY A KEY ROLE.
- Epidemiology: Roughly, 1% of the population is affected. Can occur at any age and affected both sexes. Most patients as worse in winters. Around 7 million people are affected in the developed country.
- Histopathogenesis: Increased epidermal cell proliferation. Retention of nuclei in stratum corneum. Proliferation of fibroblast. Dilated and tortuous capillary loops. Shortened epidermal turnover time from normal of 60 to 10 days.
- Clinical features: Usually chronic indolent lesions which persist for month. Lesions are mildly papule or plaque. Erythematous plaque lesions with characteristic silvery, large, loose scales. The patients of psoriasis may also suffer from depression and low self-esteem. In a patients with psoriasis always check for nail and joint involvement.
- Nail: 10 to 15% of the patients have nail involvement. Pitting, nail plate thickening, subungual debris, discolouration of the nail plate and oil spot seen in the nails.
- Joints: 10% patients have joint involvement.
- Sites: Scalp, pressure points and extensor. Sometimes generalised.
Chronic recurrent psoriasis is difficult to treat. Medicines which are used in Ayurveda are safe and practised since many years. Huge numbers of drugs are prescribed in Ayurveda for the treatment of kushta.
Symptoms of Psoriasis:
- Itching all over the body
- Silvery patches, especially, on legs, chest, back but now spreading in his hand and scalp.
- Destruction on nail plates
- Swelling and pain in left middle fingers and flexion deformity in proximal interphalangeal joint
- Swelling of right middle metatarsophalangeal joint and pain
Investigation/ Tests that can be done to rule out any other pathologies:
- CBC (Complete Blood Count)
- LFT (Liver Function Test)
- KFT (Kidney Function Test)
- Sr. Uric Acid
Ayurveda medication in two cases:
- In the First Phase, patients are given panchsakar churna - one spoon two times daily for Anglomania and pachan, Panchanimbadi churna- one spoon two times daily with luke water, panchatikta ghrita guggulu - two tab two times daily, and one oil for local application containing jyotishmati, bakuchi, and chakramad for five days. Patients are asked to apply the oil firstly only on legs for 5 days. Within 5 days, the rashes which are developed within 4 to 5 months just disappear and other rashes are also subsiding.
- After 5 days, in the second phase, we continue the same treatment and also added haridra khand - one spoon two times daily, guggulutiktam kashayam - three spoons two times daily (one hour before food for 15 days). By the 20th day, rashes subside by 60 % and pain and swelling in fingers and ankle also reduce to a great extent.
During the treatment, patients are also asked to follow some dietary changes and live according to the rules of Ayurveda.
Result: Psoriasis is a disease with unknown etiology and triggered by many factors. Ayurveda treatment gives satisfactory results as well as the quality life to the patients. Ayurveda removes toxin out of the body and corrects the formation of aama. Ayurveda gives the prevention as well as the treatment. So, by following the dietary and lifestyle change we prevent the recurrence of the disease.