Cold (coryza), also known as the common cold, is a viral infection that involves the upper respiratory tract (nose and throat).
It affects people of all age groups and people from all walks of life.
Here are 8 easy home remedies to treat the common cold:
1. A lemon a day keeps the cold away. For a bad cold, squeeze two lemons in half a litre of boiling water, sweetened with honey. Drinking it at bedtime is an effective way to cure your cold.
2. Have ginger (adrakh) tea. Drinking a cup of ginger tea has been grandma's age-old remedy to manage cold, flu, and cough.
The active component, gingerol, helps strengthen your body from within and provides instant relief. Its antioxidant properties also help to fight other viral infections effectively.
3. Sip on ginger water. Add freshly grated ginger to a cup of boiling water. Give it about 8 to 10 boils. Strain, sweeten with 1/2 teaspoon sugar and drink hot.
Ginger boosts your immune system and improves recovery time. Ginger water also keeps the throat moist and helps soothe a sore throat.
4. Steam inhalation for chest congestion. A tablespoon of crushed carom seeds (ajwain), tied up in a muslin cloth (plain-woven cotton fabric) can be used for inhalation to relieve congestion or blocked nose.
5. Use cumin seeds to heal your cold. Add a teaspoon of cumin seeds (jeera) to 1 glass of boiling water. Strain and simmer for a few minutes. Let it cool. Drink this water 1 to 2 times a day.
If a sore throat is also present, add a few small pieces of dry ginger (adrakh) to the boiling water.
Cumin seeds are an awesome home remedy for colds due to their anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Cumin also boosts immunity and helps to relieve inflamed muscles.
6. Black peppercorns are rich in vitamin C and contain antioxidants which are good to relieve a cold.
Add around 5 to 6 finely grounded peppercorns (saboot kali mirchi) to a glass of warm water, and sweeten it with 5 to 6 batasha (a variation of sugar candy). Take this mixture for a few nights to get rid of your cold.
7. Haldi ka doodh (hot turmeric milk) is a traditional Indian home remedy to treat a cold. Boil 1 teaspoon of full pepper powder in a cup of milk, along with a pinch of turmeric (haldi) and have once daily, for at least 3 days.
8. Try a herbal mix of spices for relieving cold. For cold with phlegm (balgam) and a slight cough, take about 8 to 10 basil (tulsi ) leaves and wash well.
To 1 cup of water, add tulsi leaves, 1 to 2 cloves of garlic (lasan), crushed ginger, and around 4 to 5 peppercorns (saboot kali mirchi). Boil the water until the quantity is reduced to 1/4 cup. Cool and strain it. Add about one teaspoon of honey.
Drink this mixture every morning for relief from cold and cough.
Try these home remedies to get some relief from your cold. Consult a doctor right away if you have a severe cold or if the cold persists for long.
Disclaimer: This article is written by the Practitioner for informational and educational purposes only. The content presented on this page should not be considered as a substitute for medical expertise. Please "DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE" and seek professional help regarding any health conditions or concerns. Practo will not be responsible for any act or omission arising from the interpretation of the content present on this page.