Men are different from women in many ways, including their daily nutritional needs and health. They are more likely than women to get heart disease. Furthermore, prostate (a small gland in men that produces sperm-carrying fluid) and lung cancer are two of the most common cancers in men.
Eating a well-balanced diet rich in nutrients can help you improve overall health and lower the risk of chronic conditions.
Superfoods are good for the heart and they prevent many diseases including heart-related problems, cancer, and other chronic diseases.
Here is a list of superfoods that every man should include in his daily diet for overall health and fitness:
1. Tomatoes: They are an excellent source of vitamin C (boosts immunity), potassium (an essential mineral for your body), and a plant substance called lycopene.
Lycopene is an antioxidant (a substance that protects cells from damage) that is great for heart and prostate health. Men who eat a lot of tomatoes may be giving themselves an edge against prostate cancer.
2. Broccoli: This superfood is helpful in the prevention of heart disease, stroke (decreased blood flow to your brain), and cancer.
It is loaded with vitamin C, beta-carotene (a red-orange pigment found in plants and fruits), potassium, and a phytochemical called sulforaphane (a sulfur-rich compound that neutralizes body toxins).
Broccoli is also a good food source for building muscle and is rich in natural cancer-fighting chemicals.
3. Watermelon: This very popular superfood has high water content, fibre, vitamin C, and beta-carotene.
High vitamin C and beta-carotene intakes have been proven to lower the risk of heart disease, relieve asthma symptoms, lower the risk of colon (large intestine) cancer, and alleviate some of the symptoms of osteoarthritis (a type of arthritis that causes pain on movement) and rheumatoid arthritis (a condition where the body's immunity attacks the joints and damages it).
Watermelon has lycopene, which helps men against prostate cancer. It also contains citrulline, which helps to keep blood vessels healthy and reduce sexual health problems.
4. Chocolate: Believe it or not, chocolate is also considered a superfood, especially dark chocolate which has high cocoa content.
Cocoa is high in antioxidants, which may help with cancer prevention, heart health, and weight loss. The flavanols in dark chocolate may curb levels of bad cholesterol, improve circulation, and keep blood pressure in check.
5. Whole Grains: Diets rich in whole grains provide fibre, vitamins, and minerals. These all are the co-factors for heart health, building muscles, and weight management.
Whole grains have a more favourable effect on blood sugar levels, which means they do not create fluctuations in blood sugar or increase cravings after consumption.
Furthermore, the antioxidants in whole grains aid in the management of inflammation (redness and swelling) and insulin (a hormone that regulates blood sugar levels).
Whole grains like brown rice, oats, whole-grain bread, and cereals may enhance immunity, reduce cholesterol, and protect against a variety of cancers.
6. Nuts: Nuts are superfoods that contain fibre, healthy fats, and plant nutrients called phytosterols, which are known to reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol levels.
Nuts such as hazelnuts, walnuts, and almonds are high in plant protein. They also have monounsaturated fats, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
7. Eggs: Eggs are considered superfoods because they can boost health and tackle obesity. They are one of the most nutrient-dense foods and are rich in protein, iron, calcium, and vitamin B and D.
It is recommended that you must include one egg a day in your diet for the maximum benefit.
Make your lifestyle better and health-oriented by including these superfoods in your daily meals.
Disclaimer: This article is written by the Practitioner for informational and educational purposes only. The content presented on this page should not be considered as a substitute for medical expertise. Please "DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE" and seek professional help regarding any health conditions or concerns. Practo will not be responsible for any act or omission arising from the interpretation of the content present on this page.