It's a common belief that having a normal digestive system means having a daily bowel movement. However, this is not true for everyone. In fact, normal could be anything from having a bowel movement a few times a day to a few times a week. In other words, there is no hard-and-fast rule as to what is typical because it varies from person to person. You should understand first what is healthy and unhealthy bowel movement which can be alarming as well if you are overlooking it for a long time.
Two unhealthy bowel movements can be constipation or diarrhea, the general range is from three times a day to three times a week. Less than three movements per week is generally considered constipation, while three or more loose stools per day is considered diarrhea.
Here are 6 healthy lifestyle choices you can adapt to avoid constipation or diarrhea which leads to Piles, Anal fissures, Rectum prolapse in some cases, dehydration if diarrhea is prolonged and severe. These are the conditions when you really need to see your doctor.
1. Eat all of your meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) at a predictable time each day. The bowel functions best when food is introduced at the same regular intervals.
2. Eat foods in similar amounts - The bowel functions best when food is in similar quantity. The size of different meals taken through the day may vary, but the amount of food eaten at a given meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner) should be about the same quantity from day to day.
3. Breakfast is the most important meal involved in bowel stimulation. Make sure you eat breakfast every day.
4. Eat a high fiber diet that includes both soluble and insoluble fiber.
5. Keep caffeine to a minimum - Caffeine is a diuretic drawing fluid from your colon and leaving your stools hard. Drink plenty of decaffeinated fluids. Ideally a person should drink 8 glasses of water, especially if you are eating a fiber-rich diet. This may not be possible for people suffering from kidney disease, heart disease or urinary problems.
6. Exercise daily - Exercise increases colonial transit time. Bowel function is helped most when exercise is at a consistent daily time
Healthy lifestyle and eating habits can prevent lots of bowel related diseases, one should avoid getting into a medicine abuse, in my practice I have witnessed lots of patients taking laxatives to ease their motion and develop dependency. One should adapt good habits and in worse case only try home remedies and herbal solutions as not to develop lifelong dependency on laxatives. For better insight kindly go through my next article over home remedies for better bowel movement.