A fever is a temporary increase in your body temperature beyond normal levels of 98.6°F (37°C), often due to an illness. It is your body's way of generating an immune response to any kind of viral/bacterial/parasitic attack.
Viral Fever: Causes and Symptoms
Viral fever is any fever that happens as a result of a viral infection. Viruses are tiny living organisms that spread easily from person to person. There can be many ways by which you can get infected with a virus such as inhalation of infected droplets released during coughing or sneezing by an ill person, through contaminated foods or drinks and through insects and animals that carry viruses.
Viral fevers can range in temperature from 99°F to over 103°F (39°C), depending on the underlying virus. General symptoms of viral fever are chills, headache, sore throat, redness of the eyes, a feeling of extreme weakness, muscle pain and aches, vomiting, and diarrhoea (a condition in which your bowel movements become loose or watery).
A viral fever, whether mild, moderate, or severe, weakens your immune system and also leaves you with a loss of appetite.
Home Remedies for Viral Fever
Home remedies are absolutely safe and without any major side-effects. They are many home remedies readily available in your kitchen that are highly beneficial in relieving viral symptoms. Before we look at 5 such remedies, it is important to remember that your diet during a viral fever is crucial to get rid of the symptoms and to regain your lost energy.
The overall diet during viral fever should be light, easy to digest, and full of fluids. Liquids either in the form of hot soup or simply plain water help excrete impurities. Food or any liquid consumed should be preferably warm.
Here are 5 simple home remedies for treating viral fever:
1. Turmeric and dried ginger powder. Turmeric and ginger are two wonder spices that are full of antibacterial and anti inflammatory compounds. These spices have been known to relieve certain symptoms of viral fever like coughing, vomiting, increased sinus, and congestion, for many ages in Indian homes.
Heat one spoon of pepper powder, one small spoon of turmeric powder, and one teaspoon of ginger powder in one cup of water and add some sugar if you need. When this water comes down to half after boiling, cool it and drink it.
Both turmeric and ginger are heat-producing spices and can raise your body temperature. Remember not to consume too much of the above concoction. Having about one cup a day should suffice.
2. Basil (Tulsi). Basil contains antibiotic and antiviral properties that help eliminate the virus inside your body quickly. It is also rich in vitamin C and is antiseptic in nature, which makes it a perfect solution to increase your immunity and help you recover from infections.
Boil ten to fifteen fresh basil leaves in one liter of water, along with one teaspoon of clove powder, until it becomes half. Filter it, let it cool down, and drink it about 2 to 3 times a day.
3. Coriander tea. Coriander is loaded with natural antibiotic compounds that help fight viral infections. Coriander tea is helpful in relieving symptoms of viral fever such as a runny nose.
Boil some coriander seeds in water and add a little milk and honey. Drink once it is cooled down.
It is recommended to drink coriander tea at least twice a day until your viral symptoms reduce.
4. Fenugreek (methi seeds) water. Fenugreek is another remedy that is readily available in your kitchen. Fenugreek has antiviral properties that only eliminates the common cold but can fight various symptoms of viral infections. It is known to improve your overall immunity as well.
Soak some fenugreek seeds in a cup of water for a whole night and filter it in the morning and drink it every one hour. This will help relieve symptoms of viral fever.
5. Lemon and honey. Lemon and honey are both useful in alleviating viral symptoms such as cold and flu. Honey is an instant energy provider and lime juice, which is rich in vitamin C helps cut out toxicity. The anti inflammatory properties of honey clear a blocked nose and relieve a sore throat.
Just mix the juice from half of a lemon and a teaspoon of raw, high-quality honey into a cup of hot or warm water and drink it.
Home remedies always come to your rescue since they are easy, quick, and readily available. In case your symptoms do not get any better and if your body temperature does not come down even after 3 days, consult your general physician immediately.
Disclaimer: This article is written by the Practitioner for informational and educational purposes only. The content presented on this page should not be considered as a substitute for medical expertise. Please "DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE" and seek professional help regarding any health conditions or concerns. Practo will not be responsible for any act or omission arising from the interpretation of the content present on this page.