Dandruff is a very common problem and many people all over the world are troubled by this, irrespective of age or gender. While there are many causes for dandruff, the main cause for this problem increasing among people is unhealthy lifestyle, stress and the pollution.
Many of us are unaware about the fact that Dandruff is a type of fungal infection which can occur due to multiple reasons. Winter marks the weather of increasing dryness so occurrence of dandruff in winter is normal. But, it is really important to understand the causes of dandruff and hence, control the same to reduce the major repercussions of the same.
What causes Dandruff?
Dandruff is a scaly condition of the scalp leading to flaking. It is mostly accompanied by itching. It can be very resistant. The causes of dandruff can be following:
- People with dry skin are more prone to dandruff
- Washing hair with hot water
- Excessive oiling
- No washing hair regularly
- Using wrong or too much haircare products like hair wax, hair styling gels and sprays. Further certain shampoos can also trigger red and itchy scalp
- Dietary deficiencies like deficiency of Vitamin B or Zinc can also contribute to dandruff
- Hormonal changes can also cause dandruff by affecting the normal sebum production of scalp
Certain long term illness which weakens body’s immune system or certain medicines like antiepileptics can also trigger dandruff.
What is greasy Dandruff?
Due to multiple causes like physiological changes or hormonal changes, the sebum production of scalp increases which is a favorable condition for the fungus- Malassezia furfur to thrive on it and multiply at faster rate resulting in greasy dandruff.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
Our kitchen always has some solution to soothe the skin and tackle hair problems. Dandruff can also be improved and controlled by following some quick, simple and effective home remedies.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water and spray on the scalp. Shampoo after 10 to 15 minutes. Some people can be allergic to apple cider vinegar, so, always test it on a small area before using it on full scalp.
2. Applying Coconut Oil on scalp one hour before washing can be beneficial in controlling dandruff.
3. Adding 3 drops of Tea Tree Oil in shampoo can help reduce the dandruff.
4. Applying Lemon Juice on scalp for 10 mins before shampoo can help balance pH of scalp skin and makes it harder for the fungus to thrive. Hence, reduces dandruff.
Shampoos for Dandruff
If home remedies are not yielding any beneficial improvements then there are certain over the counter shampoos that can be used to wash hair and control dandruff. One can look for ingredients like ketoconazole, zinc pyrithone, selenium sulphide in your shampoos. In case of severe dandruff condition keratolytic agents like coal tar, salicylic acid based shampoos can be used. These will help to dislodge the dandruff flakes from the skin and help remove it further. Always consult your dermatologist before using any of these medicated shampoos.
Keep Healthy! Keep Glowing!