Dandruff is a very common problem and many people all over the world are troubled by this, irrespective of age or gender. While there are many causes for dandruff, the main cause for this is an unhealthy lifestyle, stress, and pollution.
Dandruff is a type of fungal infection that commonly lives and grows on the scalp. Since winter marks the weather of increasing dryness, so the occurrence of dandruff in winter is normal. But, it is really important to understand the causes of dandruff and hence, control the same to reduce its major repercussions.
What causes dandruff?
Dandruff is a condition of the scalp leading to flaking. It is mostly accompanied by itching. Dandruff can be caused due to one of the following reasons:
- People with dry skin are more prone to dandruff
- Washing hair with hot water
- Excessive oiling
- Not washing your hair regularly
- Using wrong or too many hair care products like hair wax, hair styling gels and sprays. Certain shampoos can also trigger red and itchy scalp, leading to dandruff.
- Dietary deficiencies like deficiency of Vitamin B or Zinc
- Hormonal changes that affect the normal sebum production of the scalp
Certain long term illness which weakens the body’s immune system or certain medicines like antiepileptics (medicines that control or prevent seizures) can also trigger dandruff.
What is greasy dandruff?
Due to various physiological or hormonal changes, the sebum production of the scalp increases which is a favorable condition for the fungus- Malassezia furfur to thrive on it and multiply at a faster rate resulting in greasy dandruff.
Home remedies for dandruff
Our kitchen always has tons of solutions to soothe the skin and tackle hair problems. Dandruff can also be improved and controlled by following some quick, simple and effective home remedies.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar: Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water and spray it on the scalp. Shampoo after 10 to 15 minutes. Some people can be allergic to apple cider vinegar, so, always test it on a small area before applying it on the entire scalp.
2. Applying Coconut Oil on the scalp one hour before washing can be beneficial in controlling dandruff.
3. Adding 3 drops of Tea Tree Oil in shampoo can help reduce dandruff.
4. Applying Lemon Juice on the scalp for 10 minutes before a shampoo can help balance the pH of the scalp and make it harder for the fungus to thrive. Hence, this method can also reduce dandruff.
Keep Healthy! Keep Shinning!