Being stuck at home isn't easy for kids, Children react differently to stressors. Not going to school, not playing with peers, a restricted area at home, a lot of information about some virus, observation of adult reactions, and sudden change in parent's lifestyle is being perceived by kids in some way. They may not be able to rationally post their doubts and questions but they are noticing the changes. following are the ways the child will Express distress:
• Clinging to parents
• Baby talk
• Loss of bladder or bowel control, constipation
• Change in sleeping pattern
• Loss or increase in appetite
• Become passive and quiet
• Irritability & Aggressive behavior at home
• Loss of interest; poor concentration and attention in task
Let's understand and help them to deal with lockdown effectively.
1. They observe how you react rather than what you speak, so stay calm, be assuring, and regulate your emotions.
2. Instill hope yet encourage them for safety behaviors i.e hand hygiene and social distancing, using masks even while talking and playing, most importantly handling masks carefully.
3. Provide honest and accurate information understanding their physical and psychological age.
4. Encourage asking questions and talking about how they feel about the present change.
5. Watch your language and words while giving them information, say X is a survivor of corona rather than a victim of the corona.
6. Make sure that you will not blame any person, community or country for the crisis in front of kids. stigma is not healthy.
7. Have control over what and how much screen time and news kids are watching.
8. Channelizing their energy is important, so some physical playful activities and some cognitive activities they need to do.
9. Let them keep learning, read them stories, give them numerical puzzles, let them draw their thoughts on posters.
10. Make sure they have a quarantine routine! There should be time to eat, sleep and learn and fun. After all, the structure provides safety.