‘My mission in the life is not merely to survive; but to thrive & to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humour & some style’ says Maya Angelou who also wrote ‘Phenomenal Women’.
Women’s health needs to be front & centre - it often isn’t but it needs to be!
Since 'menarche' to 'menopause' a woman undergoes various phases of hormonal changes which affects her health directly. Balanced hormones, right food & optimum physical activity is the tripod of female health.
Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease, Premenstrual Syndrome, early osteoporosis, difficult conception, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and recurrent Urinary Tract Infections are fall outs of turbulent mental & physical health regime.
Let us count & correct the miss-steps!
- Watch your weight: A BMI ranking of 19-24 indicates a healthy weight. Ovaries & fat cells produce estrogen which is a direct indicator of female health. So keep your curves intact!!
- Drink enough water: It helps in detoxification process of the body. It is an indispensable tool to defer aging, minimise skin problems & keep menstruation woes at bay.
- Cut caffeine intake: Instead of tea & coffee, go for more alkaline foods like fruits & salads (& not juice and soups) which help minimise the natural osteoporosis process.
- Maintain a healthy lipid profile: This takes care of dryness of vagina & skin as well. Eat walnuts, flax seed chutney, fatty fish & virgin olive oil. Avoid saturated fats. Have a fresh lemon daily.
- Replenish Calcium & Vitamin D: Ajwain, til, khus- khus,homemade paan, rajgira, ragi, rajma, green leafy vegetables, milk, & yogurt contains loads of calcium. Sun bathing & timely Vit. D supplements are recommended for healthy bones.
- Boost the Haemoglobin levels in blood: Proteins, iron, folate, copper & Vitamin C is all what is needed for formation of this red pigment in blood. Black sesame, ragi, rajgira, lentils, water cress (ahlive) seeds, black dates & raisins, black chana. Oranges, guava, litchi & lemon are treasures of Vit C.
- Immunity dips before & during menses: Eat light meals, drink herbal decoctions (prepared from ajwain, danamethi, dalchini) & plenty of water. Cut on salty & fried foods.
- Healthy hair & glowing skin: Eat fresh coconut, cucumber, melons, red bell peppers, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, tomatoes & garlic for that awesome shiny hair & flawless skin.
- Pickup Pro-health foods: Probiotics like yogurt (even coconut yogurt & soygurt will do) & pickles & prebiotics (foods high in fibre are high in prebiotics) rich food like garlic, raw & cooked onions, wheat bran, rice bran, oat bran & raw banana.
- Mind the Menopause Menace: Menopausal age women must seek help of food stuffs containing phyto-estrogens like ground fresh flax seed, tofu, soybeans, sesame seeds, green tea, black tea, flax seed, and strawberries.
Earlier daily chores of women took care of the much needed pelvic exercise. Modern day women miss out on these due to mechanized lifestyle. Integrate pelvic floor exercises which are must for healthy functioning of reproductive organs.
Everything you need is already inside you. Be positive, patient & persistent. Take care & enjoy quintessential womanhood that we are born with!
Dr. Rani Bhutada - Homoeopath & Nutritionist
Red Apple wellness Solutions, Nagpur