Wisdom Tooth Problem
I have been told today (and am not surprised) to find out that one of my upper wisdom teeth needs removing. I wonder if someone would be kind enough to answer my query. I have read about a lot of people referring to their 'oral surgeon', as if their own dentist has not done the removal. Is it usual to have your standard dentist do a wisdom extraction or does someone 'special' need to do it ?

Dr. Bharath R
Dentist 4 yrs exp Chennai
It's like endocrinology diabetology etc in dentistry 9 specialties are there among 9 one is oral and maxillo facial surgeon dealing with teeth removal,minor and major surgeries.
Dr. Mohammad Imran Khan
Dentist 9 yrs exp Lucknow
Hi ur experienced general dentist can also do....depends on the severity of impaction..need a radiograph to comment ne further..best of luck feel free to ask ne further queries
An oral and maxillofacial surgeon is trained for 3 years to specialise in surgical extractions among other things. Depending on the position of the tooth in the bone, the expertise needed in the extraction varies. Dentists are also trained to handle extraction. Severity can be decided only after seeing the x ray and clinical exam. I hope this helps.