Uterus fobriods

Dear Doctor, My mother facing issue of irregular periods and periods prolonged to more than a week. Heavy bleeding, uncontrollable urination. When we check with doctor, he done some scanning test and informed that size of uterus is 9*8Cms and width 3*4cm and no free fluids. He said that there is fobriod attached to uterus which need to be removed through operation. Please find attached report. Please tell me ,is that serious issue? What other things we need to take care?

Doctor Answers (1) on Uterus fobriods

The image of USG provided is not very clear, therefore I cannot comment on the fibroid, if present. If there is a fibroid which is small, for example less than 4-5 cm, then surgery is not compulsory, if the bleeding can be controlled with medication. If the bleeding is not controlled with medication, then she may need surgery for removing the uterus, as there is no point trying to remove the fibroid only (in view of her age and the fact that she obviously will not be wanting to have more children in the future). The urine problem may not be related to the fibroid, if it is not a large fibroid, and it may be possible to control this problem with medication.