To reduce anxiety

I have this habit of worrying about everything..the past, the present, the future..this affects my health..during student life due to excess tension i used to forget what i studied..also i have made few wrong decisions in professional life becos i did not think about my options with calm n cool mind..my colleagues made smart decisions calmly and became successfulm.my close ones keep tellin me to chill and be calm n cool n not take so much tension..i also have habit of doing net surfing and i get scared after reading medical articles. how can i relax my mind and be happy and calm?no medicines please.

Doctor Answers (4) on To reduce anxiety

Dr. Sonia Malhotra Pune | Psychiatrist
Hello mam,
It is great to see that you identify your problem and are actively seeking help. This attitude ensures success.
Now, coming to your problem:
Mam, pls understand that a lot of people have a temperament of worrying and overthinking. It develops through childhood depending on our nature's constitution and our environment. IT IS NOT A DISEASE TO WORRY AND OVERTHINK. But, when it interferes in your life, you need to take control.
As per your liking, you can be treated without medicines. Cognitive behavior therapy is the therapy of choice for you. It basically allows you to change your thought process and engage in more positive and encouraging behaviors. It then becomes a cycle of thinking well and acting effectively.

Pls feel free to contact me for private consultation for the same.

Regards!

Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
Hi,  don't worry it is not a big problem. U might have developed this habit due to some role model or because of the pressure u had to prove to somebody or some amount of expectations from ur family  people.
To understand all those do consult a Psychologist and overcome this issue easily and lead a cool,  chill life. 😎
Dr. Lakshmi T Rajan Chennai | Counselling Psychologist
Dear friend,

I appreciate your decision of not to take medication. Follow the simple changes in your lifestyle as given below.
1. Avoid taking non veg at nights
2. Increase the intake of water
3. Avoid junk foods and aerated drinks
4. Do regular exercise - walking or gym or any sports whichever you prefer
5. Follow healthy sleep pattern
6. Sit comfortably, close your eyes gently and just observe your breathe. Like you stand in a sea shore and watch the waves you just have to watch your breathe. Practice this daily at night when you go to bed.
These changes will surely help you improve your condition.
Any further guidance feel free to contact.
Wishes.

Dr. Satish Ramaiah Bangalore | Addiction Psychiatrist
Your description indicates symptoms of anxiety. You need to remember that everyone has some strengths and some weaknesses in their personality and coping mechanism. During any known or unknown stresses the weaknesses manifests in the form of anxiety, automatic negative thoughts, low mood and reduced confidence. This can even affect one's behavior by making them impulsive, irritable etc. If not addressed appropriately,  this can result in other consequences. First of all, start seeing your anxiety symptoms objectively in the context of your traits, upbringing, any stresses etc. Stop fighting with your emotions. Accept them in this context, while you carry on with your normal life. Practice Mindfulness along with good lifestyle adjustments, yoga, meditation etc. If worsening seek professional help for cognitive behavior therapy and possibly medicines for severe anxiety only. Regards