Thumb finger flesh

My right hand thumb finger flesh at the tip of nail is being fallen in layers. I can see blood vessels too. :(. Sometimes it is itchy and pain full. Not sure what to do. Will it heal by itself. Should I leave it alone. As m right handed, things often get touched to the right thumb adding as catalyst for further skin fall attimes. Should I put band aid but worried that it might infect. Please help. The image is not clear but the wound is bit deeper and more skin to fall off.

Doctor Answers (1) on Thumb finger flesh

Dr. Harsha Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there...was there any history of trauma or thorn prick? If there is any foreign body inside, it will have to removed. Else it can cause foreign body granuloma. As you said the image is not clear. If it is just a wound, then plain antibiotic cream like mupirocin or fusidic acid creams for two weeks will be enough. If it is deep and there is any pus discharge, then oral antibiotics might also be required as it can lead to paronychia. Also any onychomycosis will have to ruled out. So kindly consult a nearby dermatologist for further evaluation.