cancer-icon

Thalessemia

My niece was detected of thalessemia before her second birthday. Now she is 7 years old. She's been given blood transfusion since then. Doctors say her blood group is very rare and the blood isn't available easily in Goa. Recently my sister went for a talk and the doctor suggested her to try for bone marrow. As my sister can't conceive again she is really concerned about her daughter and she wants to try Bone Marrow. But no doctor gives proper assurance that my neice be fine. Please if anybody can give some idea as to how to save my neice. What are the treatments and medications available for thalessemia if any. And where can my sis go for getting detailed information about bone marrow procedure. Please help.

Doctor Answers (2) on Thalessemia

Dr. Deepak Gupta Jaipur | Oncologist/Cancer Specialist
She definitely needs bone marrow transplant for thalassemia and we at Jaipur ate doing good number of transplants for that, even not matched also as will be in your case because there is no sibling. If u wish u can consult our pediatric hematologist.
Dr. Swathi S Aithal Bangalore | General Physician
Hello.. Well it seems that your niece is already transfusion dependent thalassemia..well first thing is prognosis is not too good..the best thing is to consult a haemotologist in a place like bangalore, mumbai etc...they will be able to guide you about the bone marrow transplantation thing..about pros and cons of it and how you can proceed further...thank you..