Severepain during periods

Since I got matured, I am getting severe pain in stomach on the first day of periods every time. Gradually it decreases from second day.. I am not able to bear it every time and afraid to take medication as it may effect during reproduction. Please give me a solution for this problem
views-icons 28 Views 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (2) on Severepain during periods

Thank you for your question.
As Dr Rashmi says pain during periods is very common. It is OK to take pain medication during periods especially mefenamic acid. This does not harm reproductive capacity. 
There are some natural methods that help. Often a diet poor in magnesium and zinc exaggerates menstrual cramps. You should aim to have a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes. Please consider adding a multivitamin mineral supplement suggested by your doctor. There are gentle exercises you can do to relieve cramps. Being physically active for 30 mins a day on regular days reduces the severity of cramps during menses. Please seek advice from your local yoga teacher for correct guidance on specific exercises for menstrual problems.

If none of this helps see your gynaecologist who can suggest further remedies. All these remedies are temporary and do not affect long-term reproductive health so do not be afraid to ask. You can always decide not to do anything as well.
also check WWW.patient.co.uk for advice about period pain
best wishes

Dr. Rashmi T V Bangalore | General Physician
Hi
Dysmenorrhea is quite common in this age group taking medication at regular intervals and limited period is ok.... if pain is still severe inspite of medication... kindly consult gynecologist for further management...