Severe menstrual cramps

Hi Doctor! Recently i happened to go to a gyno, for my acute cramps. I have been self medicating all this while, as my mother and her mother also had the same issues, during their phase. Its hindering my day to day activity too. In regards to this doctor has suggested for a scan of my pelvis region. Do i really need to scan or medication will be fine. If so plz suggest me the medicines that gives immediate relief. I had my periods when i was in class 8th, an i am 22 now, still the same situation. plz help me

Doctor Answers (1) on Severe menstrual cramps

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Main treatment for your condition is Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs...Start taking the pain reliever at the beginning of your period, or as soon as you feel symptoms, and continue taking the medicine as directed for two to three days, or until your symptoms have gone away.Oral birth control pills contain hormones that prevent ovulation and reduce the severity of menstrual cramps...Consult nearest gynecologists they will do the needful.